There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
A sculptor who by some strange twist of fate is doing PhD in Einstein's general relativity.
I've been studying sculpture for over 15 years, which according to Edouard Lanteri is enough time to create an average sculptor. I'm also an electronic engineer with MS degree in cybernetics that gives me a formal right to start my PhD project despite no "real scientist", especially one from "Gravitation and Cosmology" dept. of my university supports my project, not believing that guy like me can demystify gravitation while even they don't understand it.
Why they don't and I do is a long story I don't intend to bother the readers with unless after their expressed interest placed in a form of their questions to me on my talk page.
- RationalWiki Essay: "Gravitation demystified"
- Popularization of Einstein's physics: "The Einsteinian Gravitation for Poets and Science Teachers".
- Short seminar on Einstein's gravitation (high school level).
- Some other stuff: "Art demystified" (this time about art only).
- The translation of above to Polish, with introduction to Polish translation, under title "Theoria Kiczu" ("Theory of kitsch").
The critical mind is a person who won't believe in somethng that she or he knows is untrue. Apparenly such people make only 5% of general population. It means that the other 95% may be more or less easily persuaded that what they know as untrue is actually true. The critical minds can't be persuaded that what they they know as untrue is true. If they can be pesuaded, they are not critical minds.
It does not imply that people who believe that something is true and can't be persuaded that it is not are critical mind as well. Most likely they aren't since knowing that something false isn't symmetric with knowing that something is true. It is easier to disprove something than to prove that something is true. While the former is often possible the latter is often impossible. That's why the science progresses only by disproving things, then known as prejudices. JimJast (talk) 20:10, 6 April 2011 (UTC)