There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
That being said, Andy Schlafly has a large body of writing, and a large number of interpersonal interactions that have been made public, and this evidence allows for some speculation as to his mental state.
Using the DSM as a model, Schlafly most closely conforms to the diagnosis of Paranoid Personality Disorder.
Definition (via Wikipedia)
This disorder is characterized by a pervasive distrust and suspicion of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
- Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
- Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
- This can be seen in his purge of editors and sysops, as well as refusal to give additional rights to editors.
- Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
- Reads benign remarks or events as threatening or demeaning.
- See anything about "school prayer".
- Persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights
- Permaban, anyone?
- Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.
- 90/10 talk talk talk!
- Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner.
- Kenny...where are you?
The traits, behaviors and characteristics
- Do not occur exclusively during the course of a mood disorder accompanied by psychotic features nor other psychotic disorders.
- Are not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.
- For example, Conservaphobia: "Conservaphobia is the hysterical, irrational opposition to conservatives, conservative speech and Conservapedia by people who otherwise claim that they support the right of free speech."
- "At this time, night editing privileges require a longer track record and some verification of identity, need, and/or accountability."
- School Prayer and its talk page, among others.