That being said, Andy Schlafly has a large body of writing, and a large number of interpersonal interactions that have been made public, and this evidence allows for some speculation as to his mental state.
Using the DSM as a model, Schlafly most closely conforms to the diagnosis of Paranoid Personality Disorder.
Definition (via Wikipedia)
This disorder is characterized by a pervasive distrust and suspicion of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
- Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
- Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
- This can be seen in his purge of editors and sysops, as well as refusal to give additional rights to editors.
- Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
- Reads benign remarks or events as threatening or demeaning.
- See anything about "school prayer".
- Persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights
- Permaban, anyone?
- Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.
- 90/10 talk talk talk!
- Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner.
- Kenny...where are you?
The traits, behaviors and characteristics
- Do not occur exclusively during the course of a mood disorder accompanied by psychotic features nor other psychotic disorders.
- Are not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.
- For example, Conservaphobia: "Conservaphobia is the hysterical, irrational opposition to conservatives, conservative speech and Conservapedia by people who otherwise claim that they support the right of free speech."
- "At this time, night editing privileges require a longer track record and some verification of identity, need, and/or accountability."
- School Prayer and its talk page, among others.