Essay:Statistically likely events that have occured to high profile individuals
('If someone thinks of a better title, change it')
A list of politicians' deaths caused by transport related incidents
- General Sikorski (the wartime Polish leader) - arguments that the crash was deliberate.
- Dag Hammarskjold - there were conspiracy theories at the time and since, including that the plane was carrying weapons.
- General Zia - actual cause of the crash uncertain.
- The Polish 2010 crash involving many senior politicians etc on the way to Katyn: probably caused by 'weather, pilot error and the impatience of those aboard' - but conspiracy theories abound. Possibly Stalin's last victims.
- During the Spanish Civil War Jose Sanjurjo and General Mola (of fifth columnist fame) died in separate plane crashes under dubious circumstances.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry disappeared while flying a reconnaissance mission in 1944. His identity bracelet washed up south of Marseille in 1998, and the landing gear from his plane was recovered in 2003.
- François Hollande had a narrow escape from falling in this category.
- William Huskinson. To quote Wikipedia 'best known today... as the world's first widely reported railway casualty as he was run over by George Stephenson's locomotive engine Rocket.'
- Stepniak - died on a level crossing.
- Princess Diana - many conspiracy theories.
- Jorg Haider - initially there were conspiracy theories, but proved to be a good advert for the 'Don't drink and drive' campaign.
Boats and ships
- Kitchiner of Khartoum - best known for 'Your Country Needs You' posters.