Forum:Ouija board myths
Background: About a year ago, I was sitting around a bonfire with some people, and the topic of Ouija boards came up, with some of the people at the bonfire talking about things like "if you place a bible on an Ouija board, it will go up in flames" and the usual "you can talk to dead people with it." Needless to say, this piqued my curiosity, and I decided that I wanted to set out and, once and for all, prove or disprove the myths surround Ouija boards. Therefore, I proposed and will perform an experiment testing these myths in a controlled setting: in broad daylight (as anything that usually happens in the dark should also occur in the daylight), performed by myself and 3 other people who are highly of Ouija board myths (thus we won't be prone to believing anything that isn't extraordinarily out of the normal), and, lastly, we will (hopefully) be recording the entire experiment on video.
Well, you could look up some of those "say (Bloody Mary/similar name) in a mirror X times (at night) -> (die horribly/otherwise cursed)" things. Those were fun, but I can't really remember them all that well.
- Oh, and astrology, fortune cookies, etc. Some might be specific enough to test. Oh, Ouija-specific then. Well, I remember people thinking they'd predict the future, in addition to whatever dead people knew themselves...especially romance-related stuff. ~ Kupochama 05:50, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Blindfold everyone whose hand is on the glass - David Gerard (talk) 07:50, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
If you're really interested in this shit, there's tons of it on the net. A few moments googling turned up the following (most of them from this page):
- People get scared after using their board & try to throw it away in the trash - but it just keeps showing up back in the house. woooo!
- It can be destroyed by burning it, but might emit "blood-curdling screams".
- But according to some, "whoever hears the board scream has 36 hours to live". gasp!
- Always move the marker to "Farewell" (or Goodbye, whatever) when you finish & put the board away, otherwise the spirit(s) will linger on in your home.
- Never invite spirits away from the board (e.g. to move an object or make sound) as it gives them free reign to move in & stay.
- "If a spirit is making pentagrams, figure 8's, or the like, they are 9/10 times a low level demon, usually an imp. An actual high level demon doesn't need such petty signs."
- "When you play ouija you can have fun because you are socializing with creatures from another dimension."