The Crazy Leon is a grilled cheese sandwich made of sourdough bread, garlic, a strong blue cheese, and sauteed pear. Its mustachioed cousin, the Dirty Leon, adds sauteed red onion and pumpernickel bread.
- sourdough bread, sliced from the center of a round loaf
- strong blue cheese (Roquefort, Maytag, Stilton, Cabrales, etc.)
- 1 pear (the gritty D'Anjou holds up better than the crisp Bosc)
- several cloves of garlic
- several tablespoons of butter
- Core and slice pear into 1/8" thick pieces the length of the fruit
- Saute fruit in a few teaspoons of butter in a medium saucepan - remove when it is just cooked through
- Leave the saucepan over medium heat with another few teaspoons of butter
- Toast or broil sliced sourdough to preferred color and rub raw garlic clove over toasted surface of bread
- Crumble or slice blue cheese onto bread - a little goes a long way
- Complete assembly with a few slices of sauteed pear
- Saute each side of sandwich until golden brown and the cheese melts
Dirty Leon variation
Substitute pumpernickel bread and add red onion sauteed until completely reduced and just beginning to caramelize.
Call your doctor, you are about to have a heart attack. But at least you will die happy!