User:Bicycle Wheel/RationalWikiWiki KL
Leaving And Never Coming Back
Leaving and never coming back is the ultimate sanction that an individual user possesses on RationalWiki. It's so common that it developed its own short-hand acronym "LANCB", which is treated as a verb. LANCB is applied whether the user has actually vowed to never come back or not, as it comes from the "retired" template, which suggests that a user isn't going to return to editing. The intention may be solely to leave, but is often followed by the almost audible gasps of horror from the user's allies and admirers, and cries of jubilation from their opponents.
It is quite difficult to tell who actually has permanently retired, as the temptation exists for lurkers (or sockpuppets) to make edits.
Any similarity between "leaving and never coming back" and "throwing a big sulk" is purely coincidental.
Users who left and really, really, never came back
- HeartOfGold left in December 2007 after failing to regain sysopship. His final edit was the lamest sockpuppetry in the western world.
- Fox left in November 2009 after an argument about paedophilia - apparently he was against it, and everyone else was for it. Or something.
- Earthland finally LANCB after debating abortion for a long time.
- Teresita (as any number of alternate personae, notably Francine and Mega) eventually faded away.
Users who left but came back eventually
- Just about everybody, really.
- Hojimachong Tried to leave in December 2008, but a smattering of edits the following month, and a single edit in May 2009 spoilt his record.
- Pink - left after assertions by Human that she took exception to, and since then commented on RA's talk page once.  SHe also returned in early 2011 to talk with RA and Blue.
- Elassint left on 6 July 2008 after an argument about Liberapedia. Two months later, he was back - making three edits to the Liberapedia article. He returned as Onion, was quite productive, and then vanished in December 2010.
- Helios - the sun comes out briefly at scattered intervals.
- Refugee - left in May 2010, and again a year later - but makes brief visits once in awhile
- Arthropleura stormed out in June 2009 to set up A Storehouse of Cheetahs, damning RationalWiki's editors as a "cliché" on his talkpage. He probably meant clique but it's fun to leave such a howler on his userpage. He was briefly sighted at Wikiindex but then disappeared. Update: He made an appearance in December 2010.
The Loya Jirga was RationalWiki's first organised response to the seemingly endless bouts of Headless chicken mode that occur when different people try to deal with various trolls. It consisted of seven bureaucrats elected by the mob, and had powers to place troublemakers in the vandal bin; anyone placed in the bin by the Loya Jirga could not be removed by others. Or something. It's not terribly clear at the moment. There was also a Loya Jirga account whose password was to be shared among members.
The Loya Jirga grew out of the MarcusCicero wars. Its origins are in the long-running debate over whether or not to get rid of MC; the actual point where it began is probably somewhere on 30 January 2010, with a joke by Broccoli It enveloped the wiki in a cloud of insanity, with Nx starting to burn all of MarcusCicero's edits, debate raging on numerous talkpages and users dropping like flies. Eventually, TheoryOfPractice called a Loya Jirga to discuss the problem. At first, the discussion was very doom-and-gloom, with people even going so far as to suggest the site should be shut down. Eventually, however, things settled down, and talks went under way as to the power hierarchy on the site.
Eventually the Loya Jirga, while continuing to exist, was referred to less and less. It heard one case, in the late spring of 2010, which made the not-very-controversial ruling that "obviously vile comments can be deleted by anyone. Others leave up to the person who's talk page it is. Article talk pages: delete the vile; ignore the trivial." this single case saved the Loya Jirga from becoming yet another turdblossom.
Eventually it fizzled out, people forgot who the members were, and vacant seats were not filled. During the crisis of May 2011 an attempt was made to call new elections, which itself kicked off a bout of HCM; the crisis ended in the replacement of the Loya Jirga by the
Classic First Only Lineup
- Toast (48 votes)
- Ace McWicked (42 votes)
- Kels (39 votes)
- Human (34 votes)
- TheoryOfPractice (31 votes)
- Genghis Khant (31 votes)
- Totnesmartin (26 votes) - She and Bob M tied for seventh place, but Bob retired gracefully to spend more time with his frying pans.
- No really.
- "Oh hello there" must be the strangest farewell ever.
- "I hope I'll be able to see you on other wikis?"
- "let's discuss this" -!
- Elassint's last hurrah
- Or whatever it's called, nobody's seen a trace of it.
- Although "Howler" might not be the best word to use...