Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights
| Christ died for|
our articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights is a conservative, psychotic Roman Catholic activist group led by extraordinary prick Bill Donohue since 1993. The primary motive of the organization is to demand the censorship of anything in the media that they perceive as "anti-Catholic". By anti-Catholic, they mean "anything that disagrees with our opinions," which sometimes even includes other Catholic perspectives. They are also well known for being viciously homophobic and Islamophobic.
On August 27, 2010 Donohue staged a small protest to express the grievance that the decision of the owners of the Empire State Building not to change the lighting of the top floors to the blue and white colors of Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity on the anniversary of her birthday, "was to insult Catholics." The owners of the building explained that they did not respond to requests for non-secular events. Property rights are property rights. Perhaps Mr. Donohue should buy the building and change the exterior lighting policy.
The League was reported to have $35 million in assets as of 2013, but only 3 employees including Donohue. The League claimed to have 233,333 dues-paying members in 1999, when they last reported a membership total, but critical estimates suggest it is much lower.
- http://www.catholicleague.org/media-14/ See July under the television section. For extra bonus points, that show was written with substantial input from the Societas Iesu.
- Clyde Haberman. "In the Latest Religious Battle, a Call to Arms for Mother Theresa." The New York Times. August 27, 2010. A16.
- Turns out dividing 700,000 by 3 doesn't result in a very credible-looking number of members.
- Catholic League Leader Rakes In Large Salary Despite Small Role
- JimRomenesko.com: Bashing the media pays off for conservative Catholic League boss Bill Donohue