There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Christ died so we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
“”Bill: I’m sorry you’re a pathetic, sad, bigoted, homophobic little man whose contribution to the world has been making it more unloving and less charitable.
William (Bill) A. Donohue (b. 1947) is the rabid, hate-filled president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. His rhetoric lies somewhere between Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps on the insanity-and-homophobia scale.
Donohue opposed a bill which would have required clergy to report suspected child abuse. Instead, he wanted to see consensual sex between teenagers included as child abuse. Donohue claimed that there is no "paedophilia crisis" in the Roman Catholic Church, but that there are too many gay people in the priesthood.
Donohue also played a part in scuppering a New York State bill that would have made it easier for victims of Catholic child abuse to get compensation. Donohue stated:
“”The bill was sold as justice for the victims of sexual abuse, when, in fact, it was a sham, [It was] a vindictive bill pushed by lawyers and activists out to rape the Catholic Church.
Church lobbying and Donohue's claim of victory in reality demonstrate the Church's guilt. It 's a tacit admission that the child abuse problem and its potential cost to the Church are bigger than we know. It also shows despite promises to fix things Pope Francis has no plans for justice or compensation for victims
“”Oh, no. Really? You just called the prosecution of child rape an act of rape? It’s kind of clear that Donohue has no understanding of what constitutes a violent sexual crime. (...) Let’s not forget that Bill Donohue is just the easily visible painful boil on the face of a church that continues to protect child rapists.
Remains of babies and toddlers who died from neglect in an Irish mother and baby home run by nuns were found dumped in what appears to have been a sewerage system. Donohue refuses to acknowledge that it happened.
In January, 2015, after an attack by Islamic extremists on the French satire magazine Charlie Hebdo resulted in the deaths of 12 people, Bill Donohue engaged in his usual amounts of insanity and blamed the attack on the victims' supposed "provocation" of Muslims. In an article he published on the Catholic League's website, he engaged in character assassination of Charlie Hebdo's editors effectively justifying the attack that killed them. So while Donohue condemned the attack itself, he essentially said that the Hebdo employees had it coming.
- Just a little negative rant
- Bill Donohue: Blasphemy Rights Day is Anti-Catholic (and Richard Dawkins is Like a KKK Wizard)
- The Catholic League’s Bill Donohue Says Gay People Should Apologize to Him
- Catholic League Leader Rakes In Large Salary Despite Small Role
- JimRomenesko.com: Bashing the media pays off for conservative Catholic League boss Bill Donohue
- Catholic Church's issue is homosexuality, not pedophilia, Washington Post
- Bill Donohue: Law to Help Child Abuse Victims Was Really Intended to “Rape the Catholic Church”
- Bill Donohue is being awful again
- Catholic League’s Bill Donohue: The Irish Mass Grave Scandal is “Fake News”
- Muslims are right to be angry, a hitjob piece by Bill Donohue
- "After Charlie Hebdo attack, U.S. Catholic group says cartoonists ‘provoked’ slaughter", The Washington Post