Families of Adults Afflicted with Asperger’s Syndrome
| Style over substance|
Claims against autistic people
Claims from FAAAS show that they really have no idea what autism is. For example, according to its founder Karen Rodman, autistic people have fits of rage for no reason. In reality, there is always a reason someone gets upset, and just because an autistic person is angry or crying doesn't mean they're evil or dangerous.
Demonizing autistic children
Small children are not exempt from being targeted by FAAAS. Its founder, Karen Rodman, claims that autistic children should not be allowed in public schools because they are supposedly prone to extreme rage that could endanger other children. This is despite the fact that autistic people are actually less violent than non-autistic people.
Demonizing autistic spouses
According to FAAAS, being married to an autistic person is so awful that the other spouse will develop a mental disorder. The so-called disorder has been named "Cassandra affective deprivation disorder", "mirror syndrome", and now "ongoing traumatic relationship syndrome."
Because if your partner doesn't read your mind and realize that you want more affection, then they must be a manipulative monster who is imprisoning you in the marriage.
Some writers have noticed attempts to manipulate non-autistic women into agreeing with FAAAS. One person noted that an FAAAS survey was full of leading questions to characterize women as the victims of their spouses, and another noted disturbing parallels between FAAAS meetings and cult recruitment techniques.
- Tell Tony Attwood to End the Hate: Autistic People Deserve Equality in Family Law and Relationships (April 18, 2009) Autistic Self Advocacy Network.
- Researchers pulling back the veil on adult autism
- How to Figure Out Why an Autistic Person Is Upset
- FAAAS, Karen Rodman, and the Autistic/Asperger Meltdown Stereotype
- ASAN’s Response to Dr. Tony Attwood
- Asperger Males Trashed by Neurotypical Spouses / I Call Foul
- Susan Moreno of MAAP, Cassandra Cult Recruiter