| We control what|
you think with
|Said and done|
|Jargon, buzzwords, slogans|
“”In the humanities — literary criticism, anthropology and so on — there's a field called Theory;
"We're just like the physicists. They talk incomprehensively? We can talk incomprehensively! They have big words? We'll have big words! They draw far-reaching conclusions? We'll draw far-reaching conclusions! We're just as prestigious as they are."
Now if [the physicists] say, "Well, look — we're doing real science and you guys aren't", then that's white male/sexist/bourgeois/whatever the answer is.
|—Noam Chomsky, a linguist.|
Physics envy (cf. "penis envy") is a phrase used to criticize procrustean attempts to make a discipline more "scientific" (or perhaps just more "sciencey") by aping the form of the physical sciences, usually through what is claimed to be excessive use of formal logic or mathematicization.
- Jacques Lacan — the conflation of physics envy with penis envy
- Power plus prejudice
- Sokal affair
- Segura, Julio and Carlos Rodríguez Braun (eds.) (2004). An Eponymous Dictionary of Economics — A Guide to Laws and Theorems Named after Economists. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lo, Andrew W. and Mueller, Mark T., Warning: Physics Envy May be Hazardous to Your Wealth! (March 12, 2010).
- Physics vs. Physics Envy
- Physics Envy is the Curse of Biology, Data Deluge
- Philip Morowski. Physics and the "Marginalist Revolution". Cambridge Journal of Economics, 1984, 8, 361-379.