Tom Harkin (b. 1939) is the former Democratic Senator from Iowa (1985-2015) and the former Representative for Iowa's fifth district (1975-1985). Harkin is known for being a staunch liberal and, at the same time, a promoter of quackery. He helped push through landmark legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act and ran for president in 1992.
Harkin has been caught lying about the extent of his military service. He has claimed at various points to have been a pilot in the Navy serving in Vietnam and Cuba. He was, in fact, a Navy pilot, but never served in either theater.
Harkin is a major woo-meister and advocate of alternative medicine. He was a major force behind the institution of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). He co-sponsored the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), which is the current law in the US for regulation of dietary supplements, including herbal supplements. He has used such "experts" as Andrew Weil and Dr. Oz to testify at Senate hearings. He also tried to slip some quackery into Barack Obama's health care bill. DSHEA is the reason that the Quack Miranda Warning exists.
- Harkin will not seek reelection in 2014.
- Candidate Harkin Stretches the Truth, by James M. Perry, The Wall Street Journal, December 26, 1991.
- [http://nccam.nih.gov/ National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Senator Tom Harkin: NCCAM has fallen short because it hasn't validated enough woo, Respectful Insolence
- Harkin's War on Science, White Coat Underground
- Senator Tom Harkin Pulls a Fast One, Respectful Insolence