There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| This might be|
|But we're not sure|
Respectful Insolence is a blog by a breast oncology surgeon and researcher which focuses on medical issues in woo and pseudoscience as well as cutting edge research in the author's field. It is written using the pseudonymous nom de blog "Orac", named after a sentient machine from the British sci-fi series Blake's 7.[note 1] Orac was later "outed" as David Gorski. Gorski is also a managing editor of Science-Based Medicine. Respectful Insolence was originally started on Blogspot in 2004, it was a part of ScienceBlogs from 2006 until November 2017.
Orac is best known for his posts examining vaccine hysteria and the "mercury militia" claims of a link between autism and vaccines. He has had several Internet debates with neurosurgeon Michael Egnor (now a Discovery Institute fellow) about Egnor's claims that modern neuroscience has provided evidence for a non-materialistic interpretation of mind. In 2012 and 2013 he also took on exposing pseudoscience in anti-GMO activism, drawing parallels between it and the anti-vaccine movement.
The comments section in the blog is surprisingly good. Of course, there are trolls here and there, but they are frequently shot down by the commenters. Herr Doktor Bimler is the wittiest commentator, and Narad is a tremendous douche suffering from Dunning-Kruger.
As of November 2017, in response to the shutdown of ScienceBlogs, Orac will continue blogging in a new domain.
- Age of Autism
- Anti-vaccination movement
- NaturalNews. Mike Adams, unfortunately, has worked hard at character assassination and ruining Orac's Google reputation.
- Respectful Insolence, a new domain Orac has created after the shutdown of Science Blogs.
- "Orac" also writes for Steven Novella's blog Science-Based Medicine
- Respectful Insolence on ScienceBlogs (discontinued as of the end of October 2017)
- Orac Knows, the old blog
- Crosby and AoA got a thing for Orac, Open Salon
- Bad science about GMOs: It reminds me of the antivaccine movement
- Oh, no! GMOs are going to kill your babies and permanently change your gene expression!
- Gorski, D. (October 18, 2017). The Future Home of Respectful Insolence. Respectful Insolence. Retrieved October 28, 2017.