Jump to navigation Jump to search
Woke might refer to:
- A political term originating in feminist circles indicating awareness of social justice issues
- A term appropriated by the Alt-right used as a smear against one promoting a socially progressive message; later re-appropriated by Republicans, Christofascists and other conservatives as a generic snarl word against pretty much anything they don't like
- A term used by conspiracy theorists to refer to themselves; see Wake up
These types of usage of the word originally derive from African American Vernacular English.
- ↑ Conservatives have no clue what ‘woke’ means — and they don’t care by Joe Garofoli (March 15, 2023; Updated: March 16, 2023 9:38 a.m.) San Francisco Chronicle.
- ↑ "woke, adj.2" in : Oxford English Dictionary.