|The touchy subject of|
|Racism and racists|
Racial realism or race realism (of late pushed on the euphemism treadmill to human biodiversity, sometimes abbreviated HBD) is a pathetically transparent attempt by bigots to rebrand racialist and racist ideologies. The term is commonly used by David Duke, Jared Taylor, and sundry other white supremacists, which should be a big clue. The term is also bandied about quite often by the cranks at VDARE and the Pioneer Fund.
Racial realism is meant to lend a veneer of respectability to racism. However, even the less foaming-at-the-mouth loons who use the term still prattle on about skull sizes and IQ and the "Mongoloids," "Caucasoids," and "Negroids" and other such chestnuts of "scientific" racism. It also allows racists to act indignant when being called on their racism — "I'm not a racist, I'm a racial realist!"
Self-appointed racial realists like to call their opponents "race deniers" or "racial difference deniers." There are many problems with this. One is that human genetics don't work like the race realists wish they did, and they have expended much time and effort trying to cite the occurrences of a gene — for our hypothetical example, let's call it X — in population 1, while X is found an order of magnitude less often in population 2, and call that evidence of different races. In reality, if one wanted to make human races based on this ("race" being defined as population of the same species with unique traits held entirely by that population), you would have two races — the people with gene X, and the people without gene X — and both populations would have a variety of skin tones in them, and look identical. And if gene X has a mutation (call it X'), then you'd have three "races" of the human species, all fairly diverse in appearance and characteristics, apart from the presence, absence, or variation of gene X — which certainly isn't how the race realists wish to draw the line.
Population 1 having X occurring at 5%, versus a .5% occurrence in population 2, isn't evidence of different races — it's evidence of genetic drift.
 Notable racial realists
- J. Philippe Rushton: Advocate of "Life History Theory" that proposes that all socially desirable personality and intellectual traits are concentrated in the white and Asian races, whereas all the antisocial and undesirable traits are concentrated in black people. Repeatedly criticised in academia for sloppy scholarship including using questionable sources of information including the Penthouse Forum.
- Richard Lynn: Eugenics advocate who recently wrote a paper claiming that black people have longer penises than whites, who in turn are better endowed than Asians. This was based on Rushton's "Goldilocks" theory of race: "Orientals have big brains but small genitalia, Africans have small brains but big genitalia, but Europeans Are Just Right." One of the key sources of data used in this paper was the World Penis Size Site, an anonymously compiled source that includes a lot of made-up data and bogus references. Lynn has also stated that "incompetent cultures" need "phasing out." Just to clear up any doubt about which cultures he thinks need "phasing out" he writes: "Who can doubt that the Caucasoids and the Mongoloids are the only two races that have made any significant contributions to civilization?"
- Donald Templer: Authored a book on penises used as an additional reference by Richard Lynn even though Templer has no qualifications in urology. Advocates the voluntary sterilization of welfare recipients on eugenics grounds.
 See also
- The Bell Curve: An infamous book that purported to show the differences in races by measuring IQ.
- Race, Intelligence and the Limits of Science: Reflections on the Moral Absurdity of “Racial Realism”, Tim Wise
- Intelligent vs. smart: reflections on ‘racial realism’, Crommunist Manifesto
- An example of a typical "racial realist"
- ↑ HBD is often used as a blanket term for general theories of biological determinism. HBD also tosses in pseudoscientific rationalizations for sexism as a bonus. See, e.g., humanbiologicaldiversity.com. (Possibly NSFW)
- ↑ David Duke's mailbag: "Are you a racist?" (possibly NSFW)
- ↑ White Supremacist Stampede, The Daily Beast
- ↑ Weizmann, F., Wiener, N. I., Wiesenthal, D. L., &Ziegler, M. (1991). Eggs, eggplants and eggheads: a rejoinder to Rushton. Canadian Psychology, 32 (1), 43-50 DOI: 10.1037/h0078958
- ↑ Lynn, R. (2012). Rushton’s r–K life history theory of race differences in penis length and circumference examined in 113 populations. Personality and Individual Differences, in press. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2012.02.016 
- ↑ The Penile Economics of Ethnicity, Ethnic Muse. Perhaps "Goldicocks" would be even more apt.
- ↑ World Penis Average Size Studies Database
- ↑ WorldPenisSize: analysis of listed sources 
- ↑ How much does size really matter?, Psychology Today 
- ↑ Racism Resurgent: How Media Let The Bell Curve's Pseudo-Science Define the Agenda on Race, Fairness in Accuracy and Reporting, January/February 1995
- ↑ Richard Lynn (1991) "Race Differences in Intelligence: A Global Perspective," Mankind Quarterly, 31(3), p255 
- ↑ 'AmRen Conference Held in Tennessee' American Renaissance