|The touchy subject of|
|Racism and racists|
Racial realism or race realism (of late pushed on the euphemism treadmill to human biodiversity, sometimes abbreviated HBD) is a pathetically transparent attempt by bigots to rebrand racialist and racist ideologies. The term is commonly used by David Duke, Jared Taylor, and sundry other white supremacists, which should be a big clue. The term is also bandied about quite often by the cranks at VDARE and the Pioneer Fund.
 Racial realist jargon
Racial realism is meant to lend a veneer of respectability to racism. However, even the less foaming-at-the-mouth loons who use the term still prattle on about skull sizes and IQ distribution, and use long-discredited racial classifications such as Mongoloids", "Caucasoids", "Negroids", and other such chestnuts of "scientific" racism. It also allows racists to act indignant when being called on their racism — "I'm not a racist, I'm a racial realist!"
Racial realists like to call their opponents "race deniers" or "racial difference deniers". There are many problems with this, the chief of which is that race is not "real"; races are social constructions based on arbitrary agglomerations of visible physical genetic traits, such as skin colour. In fact, the most genetically diverse peoples on Earth are all dark-skinned Africans, whom racial theorists tend to regard as a single broad racial group.
 Adaptation doesn't work like that
Adaptation to environments, including social environments, through natural and sexual selection is the linchpin of evolution. Remembering this means knowing why scientific racism is ridiculous. To argue that races or ethnic groups differ innately in intelligence, however defined, is exactly equal to an assertion that intelligence has proven less adaptive for some people than for others. This at minimum requires an explanation, a specifically evolutionary explanation, beyond mere statistical assertion; without that it can be assumed to be cultural bias or noise. Since most human intelligence is in fact social intelligence -- the main thing the human mind is built for is networking in human societies -- this would require this social evolutionary arms race to have somehow stopped.
 Flawed genetic theory
Human genetics don't work like the race realists wish they did.
Race realists spend a great deal of time and effort trying to cite the occurrences of a gene (call it X) in population 1, while X is found an order of magnitude less often in population 2, and call that evidence of different races.
The way this actually works out is that (per diagram to your left), both populations have a variety of skin tones in them, and may even look identical to each other on the whole. Population 1 having X occurring at 5%, versus a .5% occurrence in population 2, isn't evidence of different races — it's evidence of genetic drift.
The argument is raised as a "you can't prove it's not true!" to justify claims that perhaps you could have intelligence vary between their construction of races, and that this makes perfect sense.
 Notable racial realists
- J. Philippe Rushton: Advocate of "Life History Theory" that proposes that all socially desirable personality and intellectual traits are concentrated in the white and Asian races, whereas all the antisocial and undesirable traits are concentrated in black people. Repeatedly criticised in academia for sloppy scholarship including using questionable sources of information including the Penthouse Forum.
- Richard Lynn: Eugenics advocate who recently wrote a paper claiming that black people have longer penises than whites, who in turn are better endowed than Asians. This was based on Rushton's "Goldilocks" theory of race: "Orientals have big brains but small genitalia, Africans have small brains but big genitalia, but Europeans Are Just Right." One of the key sources of data used in this paper was the World Penis Size Site, an anonymously compiled source that includes a lot of made-up data and bogus references. Lynn has also stated that "incompetent cultures" need "phasing out." Just to clear up any doubt about which cultures he thinks need "phasing out" he writes: "Who can doubt that the Caucasoids and the Mongoloids are the only two races that have made any significant contributions to civilization?"
- Donald Templer: Authored a book on penises used as an additional reference by Richard Lynn even though Templer has no qualifications in urology. Advocates the voluntary sterilization of welfare recipients on eugenics grounds.
 See also
- The Bell Curve: An infamous book that purported to show the differences in races by measuring IQ.
- Neoreactionary movement
- Race, Intelligence and the Limits of Science: Reflections on the Moral Absurdity of “Racial Realism”, Tim Wise
- Intelligent vs. smart: reflections on ‘racial realism’, Crommunist Manifesto
- An example of a typical "racial realist"
- ↑ HBD is often used as a blanket term for general theories of biological determinism. HBD also tosses in pseudoscientific rationalizations for sexism as a bonus. See, e.g., humanbiologicaldiversity.com. (Possibly NSFW)
- ↑ David Duke's mailbag: "Are you a racist?" (possibly NSFW)
- ↑ White Supremacist Stampede, The Daily Beast
- ↑ Weizmann, F., Wiener, N. I., Wiesenthal, D. L., &Ziegler, M. (1991). Eggs, eggplants and eggheads: a rejoinder to Rushton. Canadian Psychology, 32 (1), 43-50 DOI: 10.1037/h0078958
- ↑ Lynn, R. (2012). Rushton’s r–K life history theory of race differences in penis length and circumference examined in 113 populations. Personality and Individual Differences, in press. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2012.02.016 
- ↑ The Penile Economics of Ethnicity, Ethnic Muse. Perhaps "Goldicocks" would be even more apt.
- ↑ World Penis Average Size Studies Database
- ↑ WorldPenisSize: analysis of listed sources 
- ↑ How much does size really matter?, Psychology Today 
- ↑ Racism Resurgent: How Media Let The Bell Curve's Pseudo-Science Define the Agenda on Race, Fairness in Accuracy and Reporting, January/February 1995
- ↑ Richard Lynn (1991) "Race Differences in Intelligence: A Global Perspective," Mankind Quarterly, 31(3), p255 
- ↑ 'AmRen Conference Held in Tennessee' American Renaissance