RationalWiki talk:What is going on at Citizendium?
As a point of etiquette, please use the [add section] tab above, or the "Add new section" link below, when adding a new topic, and the appropriate  tab when commenting on existing topics. This will lessen the incidence of edit conflicts. Thank you.
When adding a link to Citizendium, putting <capture></capture> around the link will cause a permanent backup in case the page is deleted or oversighted.
For non CZ-related talk, please mosey on over to the saloon bar.
Archives for this talk page: <1>, <2>, <3>, <4>, <5>, <6>, <7>
Somebody add this (Pulido had too many)
A perfect illustration on how moribund Citizendium is: the flattering article on Bill Cosby.
Just an occassional RationalWiki lurker here, but I notice Infobitt's down, and seems to be dead. How long has it been dead? I have no idea (although last I checked, it was still up as of early 2016), but it's interesting to note that the Google Groups discussion page hasn't been updated in over a year. Could this be added to WIGO:CZ? 18.104.22.168 (talk) 08:05, 31 October 2016 (UTC)
- Update: checking the Wayback Machine, it appears the last snapshot the site was taken on June 23, 2016, which means the site went down sometime between then and now. Interestingly, there's no word from Sanger about the downtime, not even on his blog or social media. Also, note that the most recent "bitt" on the website was posted on January 18, 2016 (which, interestingly, thought that Carly Fiorina would become president), meaning that the site had already been moribund for months before the site died. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 08:19, 31 October 2016 (UTC)
Manual of Style
To the anonymous, probably ex-CZ person: I do know about the capital letter, so I don't know what your point is. And nowhere do I use the word 'official', that's your invention. Ro Thorpe (talk) 05:16, 19 November 2016 (UTC)
What is the point of CZ now?
OK, so they have had yet another referendum and election (or at least tried to have an election — looks like no one wanted the job).
Let me see if I have this right; there is no longer an "Editorial Council". The merged Editorial and Management(?) council is also gone. The charter is basically gone, it's just a guideline now. Do they even have an "Editor" class anymore? The Managing Editor position is definitely gone, right? No one seemed to want the job even when the position was still there. Do "constables" still exist?
The charter still exists as "guidance" or something. So will they still keep running the sim-bureaucracy, with yearly elections and all that faff or has that finally stopped now?
What about new accounts; will you still need to provide your life story or will that finally change to something more sensible?
18 days, no action
12 days into July, and there's nothing new. Just when I only recently discovered Citizendium... Guess it's pretty dead? The recent changes aren't looking too good. —Kazitor, pending 09:32, 12 July 2017 (UTC)
- The site is dead. RationalWiki used to track the active users at Citizendium. When it stopped tracking edits back in 2013 there were something like 30 editors per month. These days there are basically only six regulars left on the site. I had a quick look to see what they normally do. Feel free to edit this if I got something wrong, or left something out.
- Ro Thorpe 28 edits in the last 30 days. Most active user by far. Mostly spends time on his English spellings pages, which list lots of English words with spellings I have never seen before. He is often the only editor for an entire day.
- Peter Jackson 11 edits in the last 30 days. Mostly works on Pali Canon and Brexit.
- John Stephenson 8 edits in the last 30 days. Creates new user accounts and welcomes people who then rarely bother to make a single edit. Keeps updating the TopicalArticles template every so often for some reason. Used to handle the elections and referenda when Citizendium still had them.
- Hayford Peirce 1 edit in the last 30 days. Manages Citizendium’s finances and updates the Financial report every month.
- Anthony.Sebastian 1 edit in the last 30 days. The guy who’s got a major hard on for having verified real names. Now he only edits one or two days a month.
- Martin Wyatt 1 edit in the last 30 days. First edit was in 2012. Edits maybe once or twice a month.
- For years, CZ was only a bureaucracy sim, with elections, referendums, councils, voting, a “charter” and so on. But then last year they voted to get rid of all that stuff. The people never seemed too interested in the compendium part of the project, so I guess there is nothing for them to do on the site anymore.
- Even if you think the ideas behind CZ are good ones, there's no future in CZ itself. Don't waste your time with it.