| I thought this|
was supposed to be
|RationalMedia Foundation (RMF)|
The RationalMedia Foundation (RMF), previously the RationalWiki Foundation (RWF),[note 1] owns and operates the RationalWiki.org website and operated the EvolutionWiki.org website before its integration into the former. The Foundation is a non-profit corporation under the laws of New Mexico and a tax-exempt public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code (see Financial status).
The mission of the Foundation is to promote science, critical thinking, and rational discourse through open and collaborative media. The Foundation seeks to develop and publicize free educational and collaborative content, create community-focused software, and to connect and advance the global community of rational thinkers.
The Foundation is run by a Board of Trustees made up of and elected annually by RationalWiki users. The main jobs of the Trustees are to hire the Operations Manager, monitor the financial state of the RationalWiki website, and to pursue and promote projects that further its mission. The structure and rules of the Foundation can be found in the by-laws.
However, the Foundation does not directly control the content of RationalWiki.org. For a deeper explanation of the Foundation and its management of the RationalWiki website please see our article on the Foundation's role.
Board of Trustees
The current Trustees are:
- Judge Dredd
- Tmtoulouse (Operations Manager, incumbent)
Previous trustees can be found at RationalMedia Foundation/List of board members.
The Board is charged with electing a Chair and Vice Chair from its own members. The Board must also appoint an Operations Manager and Secretary, neither of whom need be a Trustee. The officers' duties, authority, and tenure are set out in the Foundation's by-laws.
By unanimous Board vote in November 2016, Trustees and the Operations Manager all serve 2-year terms. Trustees serve staggered terms, such that about half will be up for election each year. Prior to 2017, Trustees served 1 year terms.
All donations made to the Foundation (a 501(c)(3) public charity) may be deducted from your federally taxable income to the extent permitted by law. Contact your financial consultant for more information. You can find more information about our tax status here.
You can view our 1023 application for official determination of public charity status once it's filed.
The documents below outline the financial status of the Foundation.
- RationalMedia Foundation 2019 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2018 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2017 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2016 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2015 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2014 990-N tax return
- RationalMedia Foundation 2014 April cash report
- RationalMedia Foundation 2014 March cash report
- RationalMedia Foundation 2013 990-N tax return
- RationalWiki Foundation 2012 990-N tax return
- RationalWiki Foundation 2011 990-N tax return
- RationalWiki Foundation 2011 Financial report
- RationalWiki Foundation Report on 2011 Q1 fundraiser
- RationalWiki Foundation 2010 990-N tax return
- RationalWiki Foundation 2010 Q4 budget
The following is public information about the Board of Trustee meetings for the Foundation:
- 13 April 2014: agenda, minutes
- 6 July 2012: agenda, minutes
- 14 August 2011: agenda, minutes
- 3 April 2011: agenda, minutes
- 28 August 2010: agenda, minutes
- 24 July 2010: agenda, minutes
- The name of the Foundation was formally changed in July of 2013, after a unanimous vote of the Board for such change.