There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
- Genuine snake lipid in liquid (oil) form used in traditional herbal treatments, such as Chinese medicine
- Patent medicines, some of which were once marketed as "snake oil"
- Woo of any kind
- Cryptography-related woo, or any insecure cryptography
- Computer security software of questionable efficacy, especially "Personal Firewall" and sometimes "Anti-Virus" programs, which may provide the user with a false sense of security while actually increasing the system's complexity and hence risk introducing additional attack vectors.
- Karl Rove
- Somebody who has consumed too much snake oil for their own good is known as a Kool-Aid drinker.