Talk:List of predictions of the end of the world
End of the world bingo:
- Asteroids/Nibiru/Planet X/astronomically invisible star orbiting the sun
- Computer related (including grey goo, and Y2000/Y2038 problem)
- Assorted radiation-related topics
- Reversing the (magnetic) polarity (inside or outside a police phone box)
- 'An excess of predictions of the end of the world' (whether or not involving lampreys)
- December 2019 the end of the world according to this book from 2013 https://www.amazon.com/End-Times-2019-Calendar-Countdown/dp/1935487922 — Unsigned, by: 188.8.131.52 / talk
'I assume this end-of-the-world-scenario will not cause the Universes (yes, Universes( to be everlastingly empty, but will end the Universes, so can we change the specific part of the the section ?’--184.108.40.206 (talk) 16:43, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
Fictional End of the World?
- No, this list is for doomsday "prophecies" made by people in the real world. The point is to compile all the failed/probably going to fail "predictions" in one place in order to illustrate the absurdity of it all. ☭Comrade GC☭Ministry of Praise 16:46, 31 May 2019 (UTC)
2031 entry is incorrect
- 2031:World's end by way of irreversible climate change if there is insufficient mitigation, according to a United Nations report by climate scientists
This is not at all what they said. They said that we have until 2050 to reduce emissions to zero for the easiest way to stay within 1.5°C. That includes reducing by 45% by 2030. But if we don't achieve that we then have to ramp down rapidly to zero emissions by 2045. If we don't do that and overshoot we then need carbon capture and storage using existing technology of burning biofuels and capturing the emissions of power stations.
What The IPCC Scientists Really Said - NOT 'All Going To Die' - Key Points, Press Conference And Some Highlights From The Report - which has the actual video of the press conference itself plus interviews with the individual co-chairs all from their YouTube channel - which is material that as far as I know none of the mainstream journalists shared. It was very upbeat and positive and this idea that they said we have 12 years to save teh planet from total destruction or devastation is a paraody of what they said.
But if we go over to 2 C we lose most of the corals but it is not an uninhabitable Earth or collapse of civilization. We are already on track to 3 C and that is not either especially as we have lots of slack to up our pledges (and already many are).
The report includes it's own example of a worst case scenario, box 8 of chapter 3
- “Scenario 3 [one possible storyline among worst-case scenarios]:Mitigation: uncoordinated action, major actions late in the 21st century, 3°C of warming in 2100
I discuss this here
"2039: End of life, the universe and everything. Also known as the Ascension."