Please do not add categories to the page until it enters mainspace.
Advice: Most draftspace pages go nowhere. If you want the page to get into mainspace, you as the creator of the page should plan to do the work to get the page into mainspace.
Welcome, Anonymous User to my sandbox!
Here you will find a bunch of link spam. I hope that you may find these useful. https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/fireNoiseGenerator.php?c=0&l=9964270000180000004400&d=0
- 1 Awards
- 2 Rationalwiki
- 3 Help: Dealing with Conspiracy Theorists
- 4 Readability
- 5 DPL
- 6 Misc.
- 7 Raw data
- 8 Explorable explanations
- 9 Accessibility
- 10 Pseudosciting
- 11 Mock footnotes
Best Short Story
Best User Signature
We have a Help page- go use it.
<p>This code is highlighted</p> <button>It's so nice looking.</button>
- add example here
- Our very own book ISBN look up.
How to skeptic
- What Is Skepticism?
- How to read a paper
- Hierarchy of scientific evidence – keys to scientific skepticism
Help: Dealing with Conspiracy Theorists
Believing that homeopathy works is not a conspiracy theory but believing that Big Pharma is purposely suppressing homeopathy for profits is a conspiracy theory.
It may be helpful to ban talking about conspiracy theories in question if it's really damaging your relationship with your loved one.
The cause of belief in conspiracy theories can depend on what the conspiracy is. The primary reasons for AIDS denialism is a refusal to face the struggles of living with AIDs and the lack of doctors answering questions concerning AIDs and HIV. In this case, fact checks do not seem to work and the cause of action would be preventing AIDS denialism in the first place by doctors treating people with HIV better.
- stay calm under pressure
- respect concerns and fears
- take them seriously
- gain trust
- stay cool under them panicking
- recommend helpful actions they can take
- persuasion takes a long time
Rationalwiki has detailed debunkings of many conspiracy theories. Point out contradictions. Engage in a conservation. Remember that smart people can fall for conspiracy theories.
Severity: The extent of conspiratorial thinking varies. There are hard core anti vaxxers and parents who delay their children vaccines. Both are wrong and pose a danger to Herd immunity but they sincerely believe that their fears are real.
Inoculation: exposure to a weaker form of denial can increase resistance to science denial. Explain the logical fallacies and the failure of the weak science denial. https://theconversation.com/inoculating-against-science-denial-40465
https://theconversation.com/busting-myths-a-practical-guide-to-countering-science-denial-42618 https://theconversation.com/when-bad-ideas-refuse-to-die-the-denial-of-human-individuality-61667 https://theconversation.com/right-left-wrong-people-reject-science-because-18789 https://theconversation.com/reframing-climate-change-could-deliver-health-benefits-5615 https://theconversation.com/what-i-learned-from-debating-science-with-trolls-30514 http://climatescience.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.001.0001/acrefore-9780190228620-e-314 https://www.csicop.org/si/show/a_skeptical_response_to_science_denial http://climatescience.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.001.0001/acrefore-9780190228620-e-388 https://thebulletin.org/how-counter-alternative-facts10612 https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-causes-of-science-denial/ http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/denial-science-chris-mooney/ https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/05/denying-climate-change-scepticism-motivated-reasoning
Do you suspect someone have having psychosis or paranoia? Psychotic breaks are different from conspiracy theorists.
People with psychosis are not more likely to be violent. In fact they are more likely to be victims of violence.
Do not attack the suspected person in question. No insulting them. No yelling to go get therapy. It is a serious condition that deserves care. Be kind. Reality checks and fact checks rarely work. Damage minimization is key. Do not attempt to reason them out of their delusions, that does not work. Playing along with their delusions is not healthy. Validate their feelings. Listen non-judgmentally. Wording like "I understand that you feel (insert whatever emotion here)" is good. Attempt redirecting their delusions to something more helpful.
It is highly recommended to attend a Mental Health First Aid Course to learn how to properly help someone with psychosis.
- I thought all anti-vaxxers were idiots. Then I married one.
- Talking to Vaccine-Hesitant Loved Ones with Compassion and Confidence PDF
Open Trials "aims to locate, match, and share all publicly accessible data and documents, on all trials conducted, on all medicines and other treatments, globally."
I don't know how to use these. Become a data scientist to find out! Here's some online data courses to get you started. Inspiration for pretty and informative data charts here.
Data.gov "The home of the U.S. Government’s open data"
Data.gov.au "We encourage you to use government data to analyse, mashup and develop tools and applications to benefit all Australians."
Open Government "Government of Canada [...] open data, open information, and open dialogue."
European Union Open Data Portal "[...] is the single point of access to a growing range of data from the institutions and other bodies of the European Union (EU)"
Dataset overview Global Open Data Index Tracks governments who participate in the Open Data program.
Introduction to Explorable Explanations <- read this first. All the information on explorable explanations is based on this website. You will be missing out on information if you continue without reading this.
Loopy An easy tool for making your own explorable explanation.
How to make stuff accessible
Alt text allows people using screenreaders, blind people, to know what the image is about.
[[File:Goat.jpg|100px|thumb|alt=A photo of a goat's face.]]
ASCII art is often inaccessible. This is a hacked together solution that works on Edge + Narrator (windows 10), and voiceover + iOS 11. Note to self: test NVDA + Firefox
<div role="img" aria-labelledby="id-here"> <pre>ASCII art here</pre> </div> <span id="id-here">Description here</span>
Use an unique id. No two items on a page should have the same id. Example:
<div role="img" aria-labelledby="shy-ascii"> <pre> /(> - <)\/ *.o </pre> </div> <span id="shy-ascii">An emoticon with their eyes shut. They are throwing glitter.</span>
/(> - <)\/ *.o
An emoticon with their eyes shut. They are throwing glitter.
I decided that two repeats of "An emoticon with their eyes shut. They are throwing glitter." is less annoying than 100 tttttt.
When linking to PDFs, please note that the link is to a PDF.
[https://m.wikihow.com/images/sampledocs/3/APA-Citation-for-PDF.pdf Sample APA Citation PDF]
Sample APA Citation PDF This way people can avoid accidentally clicking on a link to a PDF.
Info for readers
Log into account or sign up. Go to "Preferences" to "Appearance" to "Advanced options". Under the section: "Link underlining", select "Always".
The MediaWiki software, we run this site on, has many keyboard shortcuts. Here's a list of those keyboard shortcuts.
Pseudoscientists don't seem to know how to cite scientific studies that back up their statements properly. Perhaps the reason why they can't cite well is because they are scraping for bits of evidence that actually support their side. Or they are just in denial. Or they consider science itself to be highly flawed and use other 'better' ways of collecting evidence.
Pseudosciting will include:
- small/ preliminary studies
- non-controlled, no placebo, non-blinded studies
- misrepresenting studies
- citing anecdotes
- ignoring good evidence
- only reading the abstract
- bad statistics citing
Real life examples
We even have a whole article dispelling the so-called link.
Fluoride isn't poison
|While they couldn’t prove that water fluoridation is beneficial, they did find that it causes harm. About 12 percent of those living in fluoridated areas had dental fluorosis that was an “aesthetic concern. [...] Eventually, it can result in badly damaged teeth and, worse, it can also be an indication the rest of your body, such as your bones and internal organs, including your brain, have been overexposed to fluoride as well. It is not only an aesthetic concern.||I have mild dental fluorosis. Aesthetics isn't actual harm. Acne on my face isn't harm. The bags under my eyes isn't harm. You know what real harm is to me? Actual goddamn neurological brain disorder that shocker isn't bloody caused by fluoride. We been through this. A small amount of fluoride doesn't cause brain damage. It's a myth.|
Here are their references:
- Personal Liberty September 7, 2016 cites the same review as the article and other debunked studies about the dangers of fluoride.
- Natural Health 365 September 4, 2016 states that fluoride is dangerous. False. The Australian Goverment reviewed the safety of fluoride two times in 2007 and 2016. It was concluded that adding fluoride to their water supply was perfectly safe.
- PR Newswire August 30, 2016 is a real doozy. This requires their own section.
- Fluoride Action Network, FAQs The quoted text was "Fluoridating water supplies can thus fairly be described as a form of mass medication, which is why most European countries have rejected the practice." Those European countries use alternative methods such as adding fluoride to their salt.
- U.S. CDC, ADA, Water Fluoridation is only cited for to be attacked.
- The Cochrane Library June 18, 2015 Correct. Fluoride is not 100% proven to reduce the rate of cavities.
- Newsweek June 29, 2015 is an accurate article but is only cited to spread fear with a quote mine.
- PR Newswire August 30, 2016 still needs own section.
- Personal Liberty September 7, 2016 is an article about the dangers of fluoride. It's false.
- Cancer Causes Control. 2006 May;17(4):421-8. doesn't say that fluoride is toxic. Is only cited to add creduability to a lie.
- Personal Liberty September 7, 2016 same article cited.
- Environmental Health Perspectives 120(10): 1362-1368. is a study about fluoride overdose. The amount of fluoride added to the water supply is very low. You will need to drink at least 10,000 glasses of fluoridated water at once to overdose.
- "Weston Price Foundation September 23, 2010 is a conspiracy site.
- J Environ Biol. 2009 Sep;30(5 Suppl):859-64. Humans are not rats. Selenium is not proven to work for dental fluoride and maybe dangerous. He can't use one low quality study to sell you a supplement. By that logic, fluoride is the most effective treatment against caries ever.
- How AIDS denialism spreads in Russia through online social networks The Conversation
- How to cut through when talking to anti-vaxxers and anti-fluoriders The Conversation
- Health effects of water fluoridation NHMRC
- [http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Member%20Center/FIles/fluoridation_facts.ashx Question 27 Fluoridation Facts ADA