| Against allopathy|
Many respected scientists and doctors are studying CBD for its potential medical applications, particularly in the treatment of Dravet syndrome, a rare form of epilepsy. Unfortunately, many scammers and woo-meisters also promote CBD on TV and in our shopping centers. Since marijuana was legalized in some states in the early 2010s, these scam artists have taken advantage of the publicity to prey on the gullible public. Some do it with "vaporizers" and suggestive imagery to not-so-subtly imply that it'll get you high. It won't. Others claim it can cure cancer. That remains sort-of unproven, as the National Institute of Mental Health claims it along with THC have anti-tumor properties, not necessarily meaning it can cure cancer but may help in treating it.
CBD's legality in the US is ambiguous. It isn't listed by name in Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances act, but, since it contains a small amount of THC in it, it is covered under the DEA's Schedule I. In 2018, an FDA panel recommended CBD a the very narrowly defined treatment, specifically for "seizures caused by Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome in patients aged 2 and older."
Not to be confused with
"CBD" is also used to refer to the "central business district" of a city, particularly in the US.
- The Biology and Potential Therapeutic Effects of Cannabidiol. Presented June 24, 2015 by Nora D. Volkow, Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control
- Registered trials in the US of Cannabidiol and Dravet as of March 14, 2016
- Low-level woo - Project CBD: Cancer
- How Cannabis Oil Works to Kill Cancer Cells
- Cannabis and Cannabinoids–Health Professional Version (PDQ®)
- DEA Eases Requirements for FDA-Approved Clinical Trials on Cannabidiol
- FDA committee recommends first CBD product: Approval would be the first product actually demonstrated to work by Maggie Fox (Apr.19.2018 / 10:51 AM ET / Updated 4:37 PM ET) NBC News.
- What’s Up with the Multi Level Marketing of Hemp-Derived CBD?