| How the sausage is made|
The institute came into international view when during an interview on RTÉ's The Saturday Night Show female impersonator Rory O’Neill (aka by his drag name Panti Bliss) accuse them as well as two other columnists Breda O'Brien and John Waters, of being homophobic on the grounds of opposing same-sex marriage. Iona threatens RTÉ with libel action, but rather going to court RTÉ paid a pre-out-of-court settlement of €85 000.  This action was criticised by Rory O’Neill , later others including gay-rights campaigner David Norris in Seanad and Paul Murphy in the European Parliament as silencing of freedom of speech.  This event led to a Streisand effect on Panti and made her a cause célèbre for gay rights in Ireland and became the face of same-sex marriage referendum in Ireland.
- About the Iona Institute, The Iona Institute
- Lolek Company Limited By Guarantee - Irish Company Info - SoloCheck
- CRO-Company Name, Companies Registration Office
- Duffey, Rónán RTÉ bosses say that fighting Pantigate action would have been 'foolhardy', TheJournal.ie
- Bohan, Christine Panti: I'm expecting an apology from RTE, TheJournal.ie
- Daly, Susan David Norris and Paul Murphy raise homophobia in Irish and EU parliaments, TheJournal.ie