There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| A dime a dozen|
“”SCRIPTURES, noun; The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
|—Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary|
“”What I’m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job.
|—Carl Sagan, Contact|
A holy book is a text sacred to a particular religion. Alternatively, it is a book that has been eaten by worms.
Notable Holy Books
- In order of approximate publication dates:
- The Vedas (~1500 BCE)
- The Upanishads (Primary texts written during 8th-6th Century BCE, but several minor texts have been written as late as the 1,500s.)
- The Avesta (Zoroastrianism)
- The Torah (Compiled between 600-400BCE from scrolls dating back to 1200 BCE) Or maybe a much later date...
- The Tao Te Ching (6th century BCE)
- The Bible (Compiled from books written between 1200 BCE and 150-200 CE) (Re-route back to the Torah observation two lines up.)
- The Qur'an (Roughly 650 CE)
- The Guru Granth Sahib of Sikhism 
- Calculus textbooks (17th century)
- The Book of Mormon (19th century)
- The Aqdas (19th century)
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (20th century)
- Dianetics (20th century)
- The Principia Discordia (20th century)
- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (21st Century)
- Chapter 10 (p. 164)
- Internet Sacred Text Archives: Hindusim — The Vedas
- Internet Sacred Text Archive: The Upanishads
- The Hebrew Bible in English
- This discusses some of the issues.
- Encyclopedia Britannica: Lao-tzu
- Mr. Mohammed, Esq.
- Guru Granth Sahib
- See Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz, as in "simultaneously and independently", as they say in College Bowls.
- Joseph Smith
- The honourable Douglas Adams
- L. Ron Hubbard
- The Wholey Booque of Discordians Everywhere
- Wikipedia: The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster