Talk:Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women
A lot of the references are erroneous. Reference seven (supporting the claim that the Committee believes the "the introduction of democracy there [Armenia] was a setback for women's advancement") directs the reader to paragraph 65 of the 1997 report, which reads as follows:
The Committee strongly urged the Government to use the education system and the electronic media to combat the traditional stereotype of women "in the noble role of mother" and to raise awareness of the role of men in caring and their responsibility for parenting.
Nothing there about democracy. The next reference (supporting the claim that the Committee opposes freedom of the press) directs the reader to paragraph 25 of the 2000 report, which reads as follows:
The Committee calls on the Government to increase its efforts at combating stereotypical attitudes. It urges the Government to implement temporary special measures in accordance with article 4.1 of the Convention to increase the number of women in all decision-making posts, including in Government and the Parliament. It invites the Government to place priority on the review and revision of teaching materials, textbooks and school curricula, especially for primary- and secondary-level education.
Nothing about advertising or "self-regulatory" bodies.
- Here's another one - reference 20 (supporting the claim that the committee was upset over "Failing to pump State money into the coffers of political parties in exchange for a commitment to push the Committee's agenda") directs the reader to paragraph 32 of the 2000 report on Austria, which reads as follows:
- The Committee is concerned at the decrease in women's representation in the legislature in the recent elections.
- Shall I keep going? Colonel of Squirrels你有两头母牛。他们是删掉了。 22:12, 25 September 2010 (UTC)
- By all means. ListenerXTalkerX 23:04, 25 September 2010 (UTC)
- I have fixed all these now. Mostly the result of my bungling an attempt to make references paragraph-specific, by not making duplicates when referring to different paragraphs of the same document. ListenerXTalkerX 23:33, 25 September 2010 (UTC)