|Part of the series on|
|A baker's dozen on sex|
“”The louder and more frequent one's objections to homosexuality are, the more likely one is to be a homosexual.
It is used as either a purely sarcastic musing that people who strongly object to homosexuality have been scientifically demonstrated to be more likely to engage in homosexual activities, or in a reflection of the probability based on the numerous public scandals of famous figures in the opposition of homosexuality and homosexual behavior.
“”Racists never imagine what it's like to be like the person they hate, homophobes imagine it in graphic detail for hour upon hour.
Haggard's Law made its first published appearance in an article written by Dennis DiClaudio of Comedy Central fame and is named after American evangelical preacher Ted Haggard. It was created after and is reference to a scandal involving prostitute and masseur Mike Jones who alleged that Haggard had paid Jones to engage in sex with him for three years and had also purchased and used crystal methamphetamine. Although Haggard denied using methamphetamine or having sex with Mr. Jones, the scandal has caused many to view Haggard as extremely hypocritical about his spoken views, as he was known to publicly preach against homosexuality.
Original quote by author Dennis DiClaudio:
“”Haggard's Law – The likelihood of a person harboring secret desires to engage in sexual and/or romantic activities with members of the same sex is directly proportional to the frequency and volume of said person's vocalized objections to homosexuality.
The "law" is more generally used to reference hypocrisy in public figures who lead the moral opposition of homosexuality, and then are discovered to have partaken in homosexuality or homosexual behavior.
 A skeptical look
A study from the University of Georgia indicated that the effect may actually be real. In the study, 64 men were assessed by the "homophobia index" and their arousal by homosexual and heterosexual images were measured and they were split into a two groups, "homophobic" and "non-homophobic." In the "non-homophobic" group, 66% showed no arousal yet in the "homophobic" group only 20% managed to restrain themselves from getting aroused - and significantly underestimated their own arousal. However, it should be noted that what was measured as arousal may have been the result of the uncomfortable feelings the homophobic group were feeling on seeing homosexual imagery. The authors of the study did note that "anxiety has been shown to enhance arousal and erection" so this confounding factor may explain the results more consistently.
Haggard's Law could sometimes be a bit of a misnomer as the newly-outed may not only be attracted to their own sex, but "swing both ways." Haggard himself insists that he can still "exclusively have sex with my wife and be permanently satisfied."
 Some instances of Haggard's Law
- Ted Haggard, duh
- Larry Craig
- George Rekers
- Mark Foley
- Roy Ashburn, Californian anti-gay politician caught on a DUI after picking a man up at a gay bar.
- Bob Allen, anti-gay Florida politician.
- Jonathan Merritt, son of James Merritt, former leader of the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Matt Moore, who claimed to be ex-gay thanks to religion, was found using gay hook up services.
- Gaylard Williams, (possibly former) pastor of Praise Cathedral Church of God in Seymour, Indiana.
- Pastor Matt Makela, a married father of five, reportedly routinely argued gay people should sublimate their same-sex desires—while he was simultaneously chatting up guys on Grindr.
- Possibly Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church, according to former church member Lauren Drain.
- Dennis Hastert, possibly, although the target of his affections appear to have been students on his high school wrestling team.
- Terry Dolan, co-founder of the Moral Majority, was a closeted homosexual and died of complications of AIDS at the age of 36.
- Ken DeMyer Obese sysop at Conservapedia
- Gary Aldridge, pastor at Thorington Road Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, was found dead of autoerotic asphyxiation while wearing two complete rubber wetsuits, including a face mask, diving gloves and slippers, rubberized underwear, and a head mask, reportedly with one dildo in the anus covered with a condom. You read that correctly.
 See also
- TV Tropes: Armoured Closet Gay
- Days since the last prominent homophobe was caught in a gay sex scandal
- Ted Haggard is Completely Heterosexual
- ↑ Adams, H., Wright, L. and Lohr, B. 1996. Is Homophobia Associated With Homosexual Arousal? Journal of Abnormal Psychology. Vol. 105 No. 3: pp.440-445.
- ↑ Florida State Representative Accused of Offering to Perform Oral Sex Claims Innocence, Fox News, July 27, 2007
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Haggard admits 'sexual immorality', apologizes, MSNBC, November 5, 2006
- ↑ US anti-gay rights senator Roy Ashburn comes out, BBC News, March 8, 2010
- ↑ Former GOP Chief Pleads Guilty To Deviant Conduct, WLKY, June 12, 2008
- ↑ 
- ↑ Results may very depending on context.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 ""Haggard's Law," Please Add It to Your Lexicon", Indecision Forever
- ↑ Haggard Admits Buying Meth, ABC News, November 3, 2006
- ↑ Pastor will shut down controversial kids camp, Seattle Times
- ↑ New Study Links Homophobia with Homosexual Arousal, American Psychological Association
- ↑ Is Some Homophobia Self-Phobia?, Science Daily
- ↑ Ted Haggard Says He's Bisexual, CBS
- ↑ US anti-gay rights senator Roy Ashburn comes out, BBC News
- ↑ Florida state Rep. Bob Allen guilty in bathroom-sex case, Orlando Sentinel
- ↑ Prominent Antigay Evangelical Blogger Outed as Gay, The Advocate
- ↑ Jonathan Merritt: Come Out
- ↑ Matt Moore, 'Ex-Gay' Christian Advocate, Exposed On Grindr, Huffington Post
- ↑ http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/anti-lgbt-pastor-arrested-grabbing-mans-genitals-indiana-park
- ↑ Westboro Baptist Church Founder Fred Phelps May Be Gay, Suggests Former Member Lauren Drain, HuffPo
- ↑ One Dildo, Two Wetsuits, One Dead Fundie
|Articles on RationalWiki about Eponymous laws|
|Danth's Law - Feminist internet laws - Godwin's Law - Gore's Law - Haig's Law - Internet law - List of Poe's Law examples - Loi de Poe - Murphy's Law - Poe's Law - Rove's Law - Whale.to|