|Christ died so we could write articles on|
The name is reminiscent of Orwellian doublethink (Ministry of Truth, Ministry of Love, et cetera), since Liberty University students do not have the liberty to attend dances, break curfew, watch "R" rated movies, view sexually explicit material, enter the bedroom of someone of the opposite sex, or otherwise exhibit behavior "associated with a counterculture." Students may not drink alcohol, or smoke tobacco, or organize petitions without permission, and are also subjected to random, mandatory drug tests. This restrictive code of conduct is called the "Liberty Way." No joke intended. Academic posts are entirely non-tenured so the authorities can control staff as well. Falwell has said, "Where tenure is practiced, eventually theistic evolution is taught."
Secondly, it is barely a university. The lack of academic and other freedom (again, not a joke) has not improved the university’s academic performance; Liberty University has earned a prominent place on Radar Online’s list of the worst colleges in the country. Despite their lack of academic credentials, their debate team appears to be one of the highest ranked in the nation. In reality Liberty University notch up points by debating small colleges where they can win. LU rarely debate the tough opponents like Harvard and when they do they tend to lose.  It should be noted that they sponsor their debate team in order to create the lawyers that they hope will argue against Roe v. Wade.
But participating in championship debating requires them to be capable of debating both sides of a question; this means that some of their debaters have to, on occasion, argue in favor of legalized abortion. This has drawn criticism from at least one Dominionist crank who thinks that because Aristotle was "probably a homosexual," he had nothing useful to say on the subject of logic.
The seal of Liberty depicts a book with a "tongue of fire" atop it and the motto "Knowledge Aflame." This is either the most unintentionally hilarious image ever, or evidence that they intend on destroying all knowledge they disagree with; skeptics are not allowed close enough with their irony meters to get an accurate reading.
Senator Ted Cruz gave his 2016 presidential announcement at the university, where students had to go or they would face a $10 fine. In the crowd you can also see some students wearing Rand Paul shirts.
Some of the most highly "coveted" classes one can take at Liberty University include classes that teach creationism and, particularly, Young Earth Creationism in lieu of evolution or actual biology. The university, itself, has a "Center for Creation Studies," which, similar to the Discovery Institute, seeks to create evidence supporting creationism out of thin air.
Science Degree Programs
- Zoology (Including Pre-Vet minor)
- General Biology
- Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- Biomedical Science
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Zoo and Wildlife Biology
- Environmental Biology
- M.S. in Biomedical Science
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (note- Their D.O. program only has provisional acreditation from the American Osteopathic Medical Association which means graduates may have a harder time getting licensed)
The Pre-Trib Research Center is based at Liberty University:
 School of Aeronautics
In 2005 Liberty University opened their School of Aeronautics which has "grown from four students to over 300 in our accredited, FAA-certified aviation program to become one of the two largest Christian university aviation programs in America." The program is "approved to train and certify everyone from private pilots to airline transport pilots," so it is now entirely possible that the person flying your commercial flight actually believes the Earth is 6,000 years old.
 Nursing programs
The University offers Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing programs. Liberty teaches their program by "Christian Ethical Standards". Their website describes this as:
“”The nursing program is designed to provide individuals with a broad educational background, which builds upon Biblical knowledge, liberal arts, behavioral and social sciences as well as nursing. The curriculum is directly derived from the stated purpose, philosophy, objectives and organizing framework of the Department of Nursing, based on Patricia Benner’s nursing theory and the nursing process. It provides a framework for practice and a conceptual approach to the nursing curriculum.
 Local influence
Against the wishes of approximately everyone in the universe, Liberty went ahead with their plan to desecrate a mountain overlooking most of Lynchburg, Virginia with a giant logo so large it can literally be seen clear into the next county. Children and the elderly have been known to break down into tears at the sight of the monstrosity, defacing what was once a beautiful part of the Appalachians.
Liberty owns, either directly or indirectly, many local businesses, including a movie theater, a year-round ski slope, some strip malls, and a diploma mill — another diploma mill, that is. People who protest Liberty are served notices that they are henceforth banned from all these properties, which is essentially everything in town but the Sheetz. It is the reason why no restaurants bother staying open late, because the students all have to be kissed goodnight at
Many disturbances at the other private colleges in town are caused by Liberty students who think they can sneak out to stay up late and watch movies like normal people.
 Liberty Christian Academy
 See also
- ↑ Unless, of course, that counterculture happens to be Rev. Falwell's cult.
- ↑ According to a PDF from their website
- ↑ Falwell fights 'heresy' on campus
- ↑ Worst Christian University: Liberty University (VA). Radar Online: August 17, 2007.
- ↑ Liberty University #1 in Debate?
- ↑ Strong Opinions About Liberty University Debate Success
- ↑ Chafets, Zev. Ministers of Debate. The New York Times Magazine: March 19, 2006.
- ↑ One crappy American view.
- ↑ Thompson, Dave. Excursion continues to find Noah’s Ark in Turkey. The News & Advance: December 28, 2009.
- ↑ Myers, PZ. Another indicator of the high academic standards of Liberty University. December 28, 2009.
- ↑ http://www.liberty.edu/media/1109/2011-2012-LU-Udergraduate-Catalog.pdf
- ↑ Those rebellious college kids. March 23, 2015.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Creation Studies homepage
- ↑ Website (fair use)
- ↑ http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=147
- ↑ Interestingly, there is another Lynchburg, Virginia entity that essentially deals in the same product.
- ↑ http://www.lcabulldogs.com/