| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
|It's gettin' hot in here|
|—Motto of Roberts' green ink website[note 1]|
"Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul", representing a corporate entity called MALCOLM IEUAN ROBERTS is an Australian Senator for Queensland for the One Nation party. He was elected to the Australian Senate in the 2016 election and assumed office on July 2nd, 2016. He presents the nation with the horrifying spectre of Pauline Hanson being the most grounded-in-reality elected member of the party.
Apart from talking like a huge antisemite (though he's convinced he isn't one), Roberts, a former coal mine manager, also co-founded the global warming denialist organisation actually known as the "Galileo Movement" and appears to be into sovereign citizen and freeman on the land-type pseudolaw. His personal website is innocently titled "Climate Conscious".[note 2] And he really does write his name "Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts".
Roberts also believes that section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act 2014 needs to be repealed, so he can
really get stuck into the Muzzles "talk about the real issues — tax, Islam, terrorism, the economy."
Further media coverage has been sparse — "We are only doing live interviews that can't be edited" — but it is certain to be a delight seeing if he demands the Parliamentary transcription service faithfully render his David Wynn Miller-style punctuation in Hansard.
 Freeman/sovereign affectations
Though Roberts has specifically denied being a "sovereign citizen", he did notably send a freeman-style Affidavit of Notice of Standing and Further and Better Particulars and Proof of Claim in 2011 to Julia Gillard (or, in strawman theory form, "The Woman, Julia-Eileen: Gillard., acting as The Honourable JULIA EILEEN GILLARD"), the Prime Minister at the time, including a schedule of payments to be made to him if she attempted to enforce the carbon tax or failed to prove global warming to his satisfaction.
He also has a tendency to title letters to politicians as "LAWFUL NOTICE BY REGISTERED POST WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION WITHOUT PREJUDICE AND IN GOOD FAITH".
 Climate conspiracy (but totally not Jews)
“”Considering all life on Earth is carbon based, do you really want a carbon-constrained/carbon-free future?
As an engineer with an MBA, Roberts is confident in his understanding of the nature of evidence. He has claimed at length that climate change is an international conspiracy, furthered by international bankers and the United Nations in order to impose a socialist New World Order.
He has a habit of citing anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists, including notorious holocaust denier Eustace Mullins, and says that "international bankers aim to dumb-down children through state-controlled education". The antisemitism was too much even for Andrew Bolt, who proceeded to disassociate himself from the Galileo Movement. Roberts reiterated his United Nations claim after his election, though he denied that by the notorious dog whistle term "international bankers" he meant "Jews". After receiving emails from Roberts, biologist Ove Hoegh-Guldberg had to seriously ask him if he believed in a "Jewish conspiracy to take over the world", to which Roberts replied with the friend argument.
He wants the CSIRO (the federal science research organisation) and the Bureau of Meteorology (the federal weather service) to be investigated for their "corrupt" evidence supporting climate change. He also thinks Agenda 21 is involved.
 Labouring the point
Roberts has a history of harassing climate scientists and academics, deciding in 2013 to compose reams of letters and emails to scientists' employers, copying in long lists of politicians, journalists and fellow denialists. As he puts it, referring to himself in the third person:
In February Malcolm Roberts sent letters by Registered Post with Delivery Confirmation to all Members of federal Parliament; CSIRO executives; Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) Director; ten of the most prominent academics advocating cutting human production of carbon dioxide (CO2); ABC directors, executive management, Executive Producers and journalists; Fairfax Media Chairman, directors, executive management and journalists; Australian Academy of Science; Freedom of Information units in CSIRO and BOM; various other agencies and people. All letters were personally signed and almost all were sent by Registered Post with Delivery Confirmation.
Several university vice-chancellors' offices subsequently told him to bugger off. He has also targeted expert witnesses in court cases who spoke in opposition to a coal mine.
 Malcolm Roberts vs Brian Cox
Also in on the conspiracy is NASA, as Roberts revealed to Brian Cox on ABC TV Q&A, 15 August 2016, after Roberts said data did not exist and Cox proceeded to produce a graph of it he'd brought with him for the occasion:
|Roberts: I'm saying two things. First of all, that the data has been corrupted and we know-...
Cox: What do you mean by "corrupted"? What do you mean?
Roberts: Been manipulated.
Cox: By who?
Roberts: By NASA.
Roberts claimed the data had been manipulated by multiple agencies:
Roberts then tried to say that this somehow did not constitute claiming they had conspired:
|Cox: The accusation that NASA, the Australian, the Met Office in the UK, everybody is collaborating to manipulate global temperature data...
Roberts: Are you accusing me of saying they're collaborating?
Cox: What, they've all manipulated it in the same way and accidentally got to the same answer? Is that what you're saying?
 Valuable political advice
“”I’d be pleased to meet with you to discuss my letter to Greg Combet. I can show you how to use the climate and tax millstone around your party's neck to reclaim the moral high ground.
|—Roberts unsuccessfully enticing senator John Faulkner to come hang out with him by offering to share his secret kung-fu grip on the electorate|
Roberts' offer to show various people of much greater political stature how to "regain the moral high ground" was thoughtfully extended to several politicians in addition to Faulkner, including the aforementioned Greg Combet and Chris Bowen. Sadly, none of them took the bait.
In the batch of letters harassing climate scientists, Roberts also sent copies of well-known crank tomes They Own it All (Including You) by Means of Toxic Currency by Ron
ald MacDonald and Web Of Debt by alt-med woomeister Ellen Hodgson Brown (Alex Jones' favorite authors!) to Faulkner, among others.
In his second letter to Faulkner, Roberts emphasised the following important information:
Please note the Chicago Climate Exchange's collapse during President Obama's first term despite his prior involvement in establishing that exchange as a Joyce Foundation Director. Please note the collapse despite Al Gore’s company being the fifth largest shareholder and despite the large shareholding of arguably the world’s most powerful bank: Goldman Sachs.
The connections will likely intrigue you when reading books given you in my package dated February 4th, 2013. Corruption is documented as rife in the EU's so-called "trading" scheme. It's inherent in these non-market schemes.
Roberts also sent a 20-page Gish gallop to Greg Combet, in which he claims to offer up "empirical evidence" debunking climate change, i.e. asks a lot of questions, trips on almost every step of the denialist staircase and accuses Labor then-senator Penny Wong of having "misled her party".
On the 4th of February 2013, Roberts decided to send letters to ten prominent Australian politicians, demanding that they either "provide empirical scientific evidence and logical scientific reasoning showing human carbon dioxide controls climate" or — if unable to do so — that they promptly resign. The targets of his purge were:
- Greg Combet
- Craig Emerson
- Julia Gillard
- Greg Hunt
- Rob Oakeshott
- Kevin Rudd (then Prime Minister)
- Malcolm Turnbull (the current Prime Minister)
- Tony Windsor
- Christine Milne (then Senator)
- Penny Wong (then Senator)
All remaining Senators and Members of Parliament also received copies of his 29-page report on the CSIRO/Bureau of Meteorology/international bankers/UN conspiracy, CSIROh! Climate of Deception? ... or First Step to Freedom?, accompanied by a plaintive plea to repeal the carbon tax.
- Climate Conscious — The Work of Malcolm Roberts (personal website)
- Galileo Movement
- Malcolm Roberts (Qld) (official One Nation party page)
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/images/flare.jpg
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Affidavit of Notice of Standing and Further and Better Particulars and Proof of Claim.
- ↑ "Senators elected - AEC tally room", Australian Electoral Commission
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 CSIROh! Climate of Deception? ... or First Step to Freedom?
- ↑ "Malcolm Roberts: One Nation senator-elect says UN trying to impose global government through climate chance policy" (Stephanie Anderson and Matthew Doran, ABC News, 4 August 2016)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 "One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts wrote bizarre 'sovereign citizen' letter to Julia Gillard" (Michael Koziol, Canberra Times, 6 August 2016)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/20130423/ToChrisBowenApril.pdf
- ↑ https://twitter.com/SenatorMRoberts/status/841539729405353985
- ↑ Why? Motives Driving Climate Fraud, a 135-page crank .pdf written by Roberts in February, 2013.
- ↑ "Australia senator Malcolm Roberts calls climate change a UN conspiracy" (BBC, 5 August 2016)
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/20140428/Hoegh-GuldbergConspiracy.pdf
- ↑ "Australia’s newest senator is a seasoned climate denier" (Bianca Soldani, SBS, 4 August 2016)
- ↑ 7. The Restoration of Freedom, Democracy, Sovereignty & Scientific Truth in Australia - Identifying The Failings And Moving Forward
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/letters.html
- ↑ "Australia's New Climate Science Denialist Senator Malcolm Roberts Has A History of Harassing Academics" (Graham Readfearn, Desmog, 11 August 2016)
- ↑ Q&A: Professor Brian Cox takes on Senator Malcolm Roberts in climate change stoush (ABC News, 15 August 2016 — includes video)
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/20130423/ToJohnFaulknerApril12.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/ReplyCombetApril.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/CombetResponse.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/20130423/FromChrisBowen.pdf
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/20130423/FromJohnFaulkner.pdf
- ↑ YouTube: Author Ron MacDonald: They Own it All (Including You) by Means of Toxic Currency - Alex Jones Tv 1/2
- ↑ InfoWars: "“Web of Debt”: The Inner Workings of the Monetary System"
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/20130423/ToJohnFaulknerApril19.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/AttachmentReplyToCombet.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/Resignations.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/SenateLetter.pdf
- ↑ http://www.climate.conscious.com.au/docs/letters/HouseOfReps.pdf