There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Against allopathy|
Thermography has been around for many years, and some scientists are still trying to improve the technology to use it in breast imaging. But no study has yet shown that it is an effective screening tool for finding breast cancer early. It should not be used as a substitute for mammograms.—American Cancer Society (emphasis added)
Initial studies found it to be less useful than either mammography or clincal examination, and skeptics have noted that sites promoting breast thermography carry the "quack Miranda warning" that claims have not been evaluated by the FDA. Health Canada has issued "cease and desist" orders to clinics offering breast thermography as a claimed cancer diagonstic. Scott Gavura of the Science Based Pharmacy blog describes breast thermography as "worse than useless" based on currently available evidence.
The Wikipedia articles on breast thermography and medical thermography were both started by user Philiphoekstra. This is in fact Dr Philip Hoekstra, director of FirstSense Medical, a manufacturer of breast thermography equipment, who is a proponent of breast thermography for cancer screening and whose work is endorsed by the likes of Debby Bruck. Sadly the FirstSense Medical device is currently under development and is not available for sale within the United States or any other country.
- Thermography, Mammography, and Clinical Examination in Breast Cancer, Radiology vol 122 January 1977, 123-127 doi:10.1148/122.1.123
- Oprah’s buddy Dr. Christiane Northrup and breast thermography: The opportunistic promotion of quackery, David Gorski, Science Based Medicine
- Clinics ordered to stop 'useless' breast cancer tests, CBC, Nov 27 2012
- Thermography: Worse than useless, Scott Gavura, Science Based Pharmacy, 28 Nov 2012
- FDA Safety Communication: Breast Cancer Screening - Thermography is Not an Alternative to Mammography, FDA, June 2, 2011
- Joseph Mercola, Quackwatch
- Management team, FirstSense Medical