There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| Party like it's 4004 BCE|
|Topics of interest|
Chabad, also known as Chabad Lubavitch, is a sect of Hasidic Orthodox Judaism. Chabadniks believe their late Rebbe was the Messiah and is coming back from the dead, since he didn't do anything the Jewish Messiah is supposed to do before his death. Some Chabad Hasidim believe that the Rebbe is spiritually present with them, and may perform rituals for him. Chabad is completely, 110% Jewish. Absolutely nothing questionable about their beliefs. Not at all. Well, actually more than a few people consider it a cult, and it can be difficult to leave.
Since 1951, Chabad began conducting large-scale outreach to unaffiliated Jews around the world, establishing synagogues and "Chabad centres" in countries around the world. These centres can be found in remote areas such as Noumea, New Caledonia, where we can safely say there are very few Jews. However, these centres accommodate Jewish tourists.
Chabad's website is also one of the largest websites dealing in Jewish theology, beliefs and rituals, which creates an interesting scenario in which the main source of information on a diverse faith such as Judaism comes from one of the most fundamentalist sects of the faith.
- Is Lubavitch/Chabad a Cult? frumless's Blog: beauty of living an unorthodox life
- Manny Waks: I'm the 'troublemaker' who blew the whistle on Jewish abuse scandal. Manny Waks is still living with the impact of years of abuse inside Australia’s Yeshivah centres. Before he can reclaim his life, he says, more people must resign in the wake of the child sex abuse royal commission by Melissa Davey (February 2015 22.51 EST) The Guardian.
- It can be done without Chabad by Sam Green (September 29, 2009) New Voices.
- A Jewish Family's Experience with the Cult called Chabad (April 27, 2007 07:16AM) Cult Education Institute.
- Group uses beeper to watch for Messiah
- The beepers were to alert his followers when he was able to be seen on the balcony of his medical room. They nicknamed it a moshiach beeper but they had no intention of it being the 1st response to the Moshiach.
- Chabad New Caledonia