Christian side hug
| Christ died for|
our articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|
“”I'm a Rough Rider, Filled With Christ's Love! Gimme that Christian side-hug!
Instead of hugging face-to-face, the huggers stand side-by-side, and can be facing either the same way or in opposite directions. Unlike frontal hugging, side hugs minimize the risk of an eternal damnation which could result from possible incidental contact with a boob or penis of somebody to whom one is not married.
For extra affection, the side hug may be accompanied by a few non-contact blessing pats. If even the side hug is too intense, you can work up to it coyly with this elaborate sequence of gestures. There's even a Christian side hug rap, which attracted the attention of The Young Turks. The degree of parody and satire intended in the rap version is unknown, but that doesn't make it any better.
- The Huffington Post on the phenomenon.
- In the wider community, this behaviour is also seen among men — usually but not always straight — who are anxious that somebody might get the (Wrong | Right) Idea from a face-to-face hug with another man.
- See illustration from Stuff Christians Like.
- "The Secret Club Handshake." Archived from the original at The Church of No People. 2009 July 10.
- Christian Side Hug (YouTube)[dead link]
- The Young Turks have their say about a catchy little tune on the subject.