|Part of a series on|
|Spectra and binaries|
Contrary to what the above direct translation may imply for English speakers, joshiryoku is not a "feminist" expression, but rather is used to describe a person's femininity or "womanliness." Those with high joshiryoku would typically be considered proficient in maintaining a polished, feminine appearance in areas like makeup, nails, hair, skincare, and clothing. The concept also extends to personality, with traits like likeability, sensitivity, fashionableness, and politeness considered signs of high joshiryoku, along with proficiency in other traditionally feminine skills like cooking.
When joshiryoku is judged to be high
- Women who wear feminine clothes
- Women who are good at cooking
- Women who use polite language
- Women who do not make their point too strongly
When joshiryoku is judged to be low
- Women who have too much sex appeal
- Women who use coarse language
- Women who do not wear makeup (mask-wearing women are generally exempt)
- Women of high spirits
- 「女子力、高いね」。こんな言葉を耳にしたことはありませんか？ちまたで言われる「女子力」、あなた自身が考える「女子力」とは、どんな力なのでしょう。ご意見をお寄せください。 - Asahi Shimbun.
- 【100人聞いた】女子力が高い女性とは？ 特徴や素敵なレディになるために意識すべきコツ - Oggi, June 2022.