Talk:Timeline of Gamergate
On December 7 you have a dead link to ablegamers site: http://www.ablegamers.com/ablegamers-news/ablegamers-statements-about-this-weekend
I didn't remove it just in case anyone knew what it was about and might be able to find a new link to the article.
I can't edit this due to protection levels. There have been some recent events that could be added, although I'm not sure if the Milo things are directly connected to GamerGate and need to be here.
- January 27th: https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/825045269993705479 Brianna Wu comments about the FBI files.
- February 9th: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/under-trump-gamergate-can-stop-pretending-it-was-about-games?utm_source=vicefbus VICE article about the "identity crisis" in the Gamergate movement after focus shifted to Trump, most of KotakuInAction's top threads are not about games.
- February 16th: http://www.businessinsider.com/gamergate-fbi-file-2017-2?r=UK&IR=T/#february-2015-sarkeesian-is-threatened-with-death-if-she-travels-to-australia-she-gave-a-talk-at-the-sydney-opera-house-14 BI article says FBI failed to prosecute GamerGaters, even those who had confessed to crimes.
- February 18th: https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/833127379262386177 Brianna Wu vows to talk to the FBI about their failure on the GamerGate case.
- February 19th: http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2017/02/milo-yiannopoulos-angrily-responds-to-video-showing-alleged-pedophilia-defense-001485563.html Face of GamerGate Milo Yiannopolous accused of defending pedophilia,
- February 20th: https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/833802274187120640 Simon and Schuster cancel Milo's Dangerous book due to his alleged pedophilia defense.
Also maybe include some info from this: http://ageofshitlords.com/men-accused-gamergate-misogyny-now-jail, sorry about crap website/source. But info is still good...
- Seems no one is really keeping an eye on this page anymore, but I would point out the FBI stuff popped up first back in December due to a freedom of information request by a GG supporter. I do not believe any of the press coverage noted this fact, nor did they seem to cite some of the details (such as the school shooting threat Sarkeesian said cited GamerGate being an obvious troll falsely claiming to be a noted critic of hers). The Milo stuff would be relevant as his book has a section about GamerGate, though it should be noted that he has since self-published his book and it is reportedly selling extremely well. The recent Vidcon incident should also be included here, as well as the Tim Soret incident. As far as the IP's suggestion, the only two there worth mentioning are both from 2016, but should be mentioned. Faraci's situation was noteworthy enough to pop up in news articles and he was very active in opposition to GamerGate. The other incident involves the guy from Crash Override, which is noteworthy for the broader dust-up it involved. Specifically, the leaking of Crash Override chats and a failed attempt at doxing the GamerGate supporter who first put out the leaks. Neither incident got added here despite them happening last year.--The Devil's Advocate (talk) 03:59, 9 July 2017 (UTC)
I can't edit this due to protection levels.
July 2017 - seattle4truth, an integral gamergate "digger," who allegedly uncovered nefarious connections between the gaming press and DARPA, is accused of murdering his father, with court documents saying he said the victim was a "leftist pedophile." (source: https://www.goskagit.com/news/man-pleads-not-guilty-in-father-s-stabbing-death/article_479b3b6f-88d4-502d-ae77-ff5f098fb511.html , theralphretort /ralph-retort-statement-lane-davis/ ) CR (talk) 16:01, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
November 4, 2017 - Techraptor announce a change in focus and mark many of their old stories as “Not up to current editorial standards”and remove four stories due to them being unsupported attack pieces. State that they where always neutral on gamergate but now are even more apolitical. https://techraptor.net/content/making-big-changes — Unsigned, by: 18.104.22.168 / talk
The Shufflegate thing
- June 22: Zoe Quinn expresses disdain towards a few lines from Paper Mario: Color Splash that she feels are a jab against her. She, and others, construe the "Five Fun Guys" and "Shufflegate" dialog as references to her early harassment at the hands of Gamergate. People across the Internet who have suddenly become experts in American history mansplain to her that it must instead be a reference to Watergate. After hours of being told "well actually", she points out the hypocrisy of her detractors.
- June 23: Nintendo issues a public statement that the entire scene the lines are from are indeed references to the Watergate scandal and not "...a crude reference to an online hate campaign". While this is the first time Gamergate has been called out for what it is by a major video game company, it doesn't excuse the fact that the allegedly unintentional juxtaposition of "five guys" and "-gate" were a problem to begin with, a fact Zoe has to make clear.
I think this part needs a rewrite. I don't think Quinn's accusation to Nintendo is substantial. In the grand scheme of things, Watergate is a much bigger event and came first and also involved five guys. I think she has less standing here. If the GamerGate guys were using this as a means of siding with Nintendo and saying that Nintendo endorses GamerGate, well, screw them. But I don't think this is Nintendo's fault and we'll have to say, "they didn't know better" this time. The language in the quoted passage is too derisive here, though. I feel the article's defense of her isn't really convincing, and this is the one time I disagree with her, strongly. I think she has the right to express herself and react a certain way given all that terrible stuff she has to endure, but I keep feeling it's a knee-jerk reaction just this time. If I missed something or disagree, feel free to respond. --It's-a me, LeftyGreenMario!(Mod) 02:27, 6 March 2018 (UTC)