Afghanistan (Pashto: افغانستان Afġānistān; Dari: افغانستان Afġānestān), officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (Pashto: د افغانستان اسلامي جمهوریت Da Afġānistān Islāmī Jumhoryat; Dari: جمهوری اسلامی افغانستان Jomhūrī-ye Eslāmī-ye Afġānestān), is a mountainous country cozily nestled between Iran and Pakistan. Many empires have met with failure when trying to add this region to their roster, most recently the Soviet Union, although perhaps the United States should be added to this list, purple fingers aside.
It is currently under some sort of occupation by the United States and its NATO allies, who overthrew the fundamentalist Islamic ruling Taliban shortly after 9/11 gave them an excuse, sort of. Since pretty much the entire world hated the Taliban for among other reasons destroying ancient Buddhist shrines and making the women wear burlap sacks over their heads, there was little protest over this. Even the US's bitter enemy, Iran, supported this, and have sought to work with the US to keep the Taliban out of power.
Afghanistan is also well known for growing poppy, making for a brisk export balance with the West. Afghanistan has few trucks and fewer roads. But it has a lot of mountain footpaths. That's why poppies are an ideal crop there. It's a hardy perennial, so to speak, which doesn't need much water to grow. Farmers can have women and kids walking on goat paths hand carrying bundles of poppies to their buyers and make enough cash for the operation to be worthwhile. The only viable solution would be for the US to simply buy the whole crop every season and destroy it. In addition to being number one in opiate production, Afghanistan's also the worlds largest producer of cannabis (mostly as hashish).
Some people are confused about the use of the words "Afghani" or "Afghan."
- "Afghani" is…
- an adjective pertaining to the characteristics of Afghanistan and its people;
- the monetary unit of Afghanistan.
- "Afghan" — a noun — is a person of Afghani heritage. (Not to mention a particular variety of sheepskin coat, those blankets and shawls that originated in Afghanistan, and those hounds with long blond hair.)
- The Timurids are an exception, but ah well.
- Unless... you are the Mongols
- In decades past, Afghanistan's competing cash crop was cotton. But cotton is a very thirsty crop, and climate change has decreased rainfall; Afghanistan's only other viable cash crop is Cannabis
- This worked just beautifully for the Dutch in Indonesia, right?
- "No Operation". Presstv.ir. http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=122108§ionid=351020403. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "UN: Afghanistan is leading hashish producer". Fox News. March 31, 2010. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/31/afghanistan-leading-hashish-producer/.