|How the sausage is made|
With her in charge, the CDU has resisted the right-wing populist wave that has gripped so many other conservative parties. Hilariously, she has been widely criticized by members of the German and American right-wing and far-right (in a lovely example of "anything to the left of me is leftist") for her 2015 immigration policies which state that Germany is an "open door" to refugees. She does not regret this choice.
Unfortunately, while this has given refugees a safe place to live, it has also made Germany seemingly vulnerable to terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, which is seen as one of the causes of the increase in membership of the predominant far-right party (Alternative für Deutschland) that is heavily anti-immigration – even if it's against their best interests  (ironically, rightwing terror attacks are more common in Germany than Islamist attacks, as in the United States). She is considered a fundamental source of European direction and unity, especially in the face of the Brexit process.
She is an interesting sort in terms of her geopolitical positions, being probably the most vocal proponent for the European Union. Yet, despite that generally globalist stance, she has enacted domestic policies within Germany itself, such as support for a multi-ethnic Germany, assimilation, and increased national unity that could arguably classify her as a civic and cultural nationalist.
Until recently, she was widely admired for her support of human rights. Unfortunately, 2020 has shown her to be a great disappointment here, signing a major trade deal with China despite its already terrible human rights record hitting rock bottom under
Winnie the Pooh Xi Jinping . Sorry, Uighurs and Hong Kong - Volkswagen sales are more important than you.
- Liberal conservatism - In Germany, "liberalism" is considered center or center-right.
- Untersuchung des Mechanismus von Zerfallsreaktionen mit einfachem Bindungsbruch und Berechnung ihrer Geschwindigkeitskonstanten auf der Grundlage quantenchemischer und statistischer Methoden by Angela Merkel (1986) Berlin, Akad. der Wiss., Diss. A
- Merkel, Angela; Akademie der Wissenschaften der DDR, Central Institute of Physical Chemistry, Berlin, Germany Scopus Preview
- Some idiot at Breitbart comments on this. This is an archive.org link, so you don't have to worry about giving them traffic.
- Angela Merkel says opening borders to refugees is the right thing to do
- The gay men turning to the far right in Germany
- List of terrorist attacks in Germany
- EU and China approve major investment deal
- China in darkest period for human rights since Tiananmen, says rights group