|Going One God Further|
|Articles to not believe in|
The Reason Project was a U.S. charitable (501(c)3) foundation that was officially devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. When it closed Sam Harris sent an e-mail out explaining that the remaining funds would go to The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, The AHA Foundation, and The Quilliam Foundation.
The website stated:
The project will draw on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers from a wide range of disciplines — science, law, literature, entertainment, information technology, etc. — to encourage critical thinking and wise public policy. It will convene conferences, produce films, sponsor scientific research and opinion polls, award grants to other non-profit organizations, and offer material support to religious dissidents and public intellectuals — with the purpose of eroding the influence of dogmatism, superstition and bigotry in the world.
The project has been spearheaded by philosopher, neuroscientist, and author Sam Harris, and has so far succeeded in attracting the following to its advisory board:
- Clifford S. Asness - Managing and founding principal of AQR Capital Management
- Peter Atkins - Professor of Chemistry at the University of Oxford
- Jerry Coyne - Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolution at the University of Chicago
- Richard Dawkins - Former Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford
- Daniel C. Dennett - Austin B. Fletcher Professor of Philosophy, and Co-Director of the Center for Cognitive Studies at Tufts University
- Brent Forrester - Emmy Award-winning television writer
- Rebecca Goldstein - philosopher and novelist
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Former member of the Dutch parliament; author of The Caged Virgin and the New York Times best selling memoir Infidel
- Christopher Hitchens - author, journalist, and literary critic; author of God Is Not Great
- Harold Kroto - Chairman of the Board of the Vega Science Trust
- Bill Maher- Comedian, actor, host of Real Time With Bill Maher
- Ian McEwan - award-winning novelist
- Steven Pinker - Johnstone Family Professor in the Department of Psychology at Harvard University
- Salman Rushdie - Booker Prize-winning author
- Lee M. Silver Professor at Princeton University in the Department of Molecular Biology
- Ibn Warraq - senior research fellow at the Center for Inquiry specializing in Koranic criticism
- Steven Weinberg - Josey Regental Chair in Science at the University of Texas at Austin; Nobel laureate in Physics 1979
The Reason Project - former official site, now redirecting to frothing idiocy.
- Sam Harris - official site
- Note: this article was initiated on March 10, 2009 by wholesale copying of this version of the Wikipedia article, followed by some trimming of links, categories, and templates. Please do not remove this notice.