There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| The divine comedy|
Dr. Richard Kent (b. 1946) is a British evangelical Christian lecturer and retired medical doctor who runs a ministry called Free Christian Teaching, which is part of an umbrella organization called the Final Frontier Charitable Trust. Thanks to his M.D., he is able to call himself "doctor," which no doubt raises his level of legitimacy among the people who come to hear his lectures on young-Earth creationism.
Some of the theories he espouses in his lectures are pretty far out there. Like his theory that:
- Dragons were real;
- Dragons were actually post-flood dinosaurs;
- These post-flood dinosaurs had nostrils the size of modern horses' nostrils;
- These relatively small nostrils were a carryover from the pre-flood era when there was more oxygen in the atmosphere;
- Therefore, thanks to the depleted oxygen levels in the atmosphere, the nostrils of these dinosaur/dragons would CATCH ON FIRE WHENEVER THEY BREATHED!!!
“”Their tiny nostrils couldn't let in enough oxygen! What could they do?
Apparently, it never occurred to Richard Kent that dinosaurs could use their mouths to breathe. If dinosaurs could breathe fire, they would have had adaptations around their mouths and nostrils to protect their mouth and throat from flame. Nothing resembling such an adaptation has ever been seen.
Of course, it's also possible that...
...he's actually a satirist who is having fun at the expense of the thousands of hyper-gullible bible thumpers who come to hear his lectures. Therefore, a Poe alert is hereby included in this article.
Either the man is in the highest pantheon of the batshit crazy, or he's a fucking genius.
- Official biography page at Free Christian Thinking website
- How could the release of trillions of gallons of water into the ecosystem reduce the oxygen level in the atmosphere, you ask? Damned if we know.
- A claim he states unabashedly at about 4:10 of this video