Yukio Edano (枝野 幸男) (1964–) is a social liberal politician in Japan. He is the leader of Japan's main opposition, the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan. He is called the last hope of the Japanese 'liberal camp'.
In 2017, the center-left bloc of the Democratic Party of Japan (DP) split away, forming the Constitutional Democratic Party which was launched by Edano, who was the Deputy President of the DP at the time. Edano, in a move that surprised many, consolidated Japan's historically fractured opposition in 2020, merging the CDP with the Democratic Party for the People and the Social Democratic Party of Japan, dissolving the latter. The CDP is the second largest party in Japan, a center-left alternative to the right-wing LDP. Despite being formed only less than three weeks before the election, the CDP ran a very efficient campaign and used social media in a level unprecedented in Japanese politics, allowing the CDP to become the second largest party in Japan and the largest opposition party to Shinzo Abe's government. Their meteoric rise stunned longtime Japan analysts and observers who felt they underestimated Edano.
Edano resigned in 2021 after poorer than expected election results, but the CPD remained the largest opposition bloc. 47-year old Kenta Izumi became the new CDP leader, succeeding Edano in 2021. Edano was fiercely criticized for allying with the Communist Party of Japan, and the media shitstorm from that decision definitely played a part in his defeat. However, Edano's strategy to have all opposition parties launch a joint policy platform and form an anti-LDP civil coalition provided a blueprint for the CDP and its allies to gain seats without splitting the vote.
- Opposition to constitutional amendment.[note 1]
- Opposition to Japanese ultra-nationalism.
- Post-nuclear energy.
- Improvement in relations with South Korea.[note 2]
- Advocacy of sexual minorities and women's rights.
- Support for minorities in Japan (Burakumin), advocacy for Korean human rights and opposition to racial discrimination.
- Support for freedom of expression (opposition to State Secrecy Law).
- Promotion of welfare policies and human rights for children and the disabled.
- Advocacy of grassroots democracy and liberal populism.
- Criticism of the political ties between Donald Trump and Shinzō Abe.
- Japan's constitutional amendment is led by right-wing populists and right-wing nationalists in Japan. Japan's right-wing to far-rightist are trying to revise Article 2 of the Japanese constitution. Article 2 of the Constitution of Japan has 'the renunciation of war'. Japan was a defeated country during World War II and committed war crimes similar to Nazi Germany.(ex. Comfort women, Rape of Nanjing, Unit 731)
- However, he is negative about relations with China and North Korea because he is an moderate anti-communist. (Japan's conservatives, who came to power in the 21st century, have very bad relations with South Korea because they have abandoned anti-Communism and are showing a tendency toward ultra-nationalism.)
- "Edano announces launch of new party of liberals," Japan News
- "Major opposition's liberal wing to form new group," Kyodo News
- "Japan’s largest opposition parties to merge in September," Asahi Shimbun
- "Japan's fractured opposition unites as party of 140-plus lawmakers," Nikkei Asia
- "Top opposition forces see contrasting fates after poll," Japan Times
- "Kenta Izumi elected leader of Japan's main opposition in runoff," Asia Nikkei
- "Japan's main opposition party seeks to rebuild under new leader Kenta Izumi," Japan Times
- "Japan's opposition CDP leader to resign after election loss," Asia Nikkei
- "Opposition parties sign joint policy pact ahead of fall election," Asahi Shimbun