Britt Marie Hermes
| Against allopathy|
Britt Marie Hermes (née Deegan) is a former-naturopathic doctor who rejected naturopathy and now speaks out against alternative medicine. Hermes earned her ND from Bastyr University in 2011. In 2014, Hermes reported her supervisor, Michael Uzick, to the Arizona naturopathic medicine board and the state attorney general for injecting ukrain, a drug without FDA approval, into cancer patients. As of 2017, Hermes is Ph.D. candidate in evolutionary biology at the University of Kiel in Germany.
While Hermes practiced naturopathy in Arizona, she claims to have "witnessed illegal, and other dangerous, inept, and unethical practices by licensed naturopaths." She also claims to have been counseled by a colleague to ignore wrongdoing by other colleagues.
Some of Hermes' specific criticisms of naturopathy are:
- Naturopaths should not be allowed to call themselves "doctor" or "physician" because they do not have medical training that is comparable to medical doctors.
- Naturopaths should be prohibited from treating children.
- Naturopaths should not be granted medical licenses.
In July 2017, Hermes received a notice of cease and desist for alleged defamation from the lawyers of Bastyr University. The lawyers claimed that Hermes made several false statements regarding the quality of education at Bastyr University on her own blog, on Forbes and on three other websites (www.science20.com, www.kevinmd.com, and www.sciencebasedmedicine.org).
In August 2017, Hermes also received a notice of cease and desist for alleged defamation from the lawyer of naturopathic doctor Colleen Huber. Huber runs the cancer clinic "Nature Works Best Cancer Clinic" in Tempe, Arizona. Huber also is president of the non-profit charity Naturopathic Cancer Society, which according to Hermes raises donations for patients at Huber's own clinic, though Huber's lawyer has disputed this. In 2019, Hermes prevailed against Huber in the defamation lawsuit.
- Edzard Ernst — an MD who trained in alternative medicine who has been very critical of alternative medicine
- Protected term
- My Break-up with Naturopathic by Britt Marie Hermes (12 April 2015) Naturopathic Diaries
- Britt Marie Hermes Naturopathic Diaries: Confessions of a naturopathic doctor
- Former naturopathic doctor calls for an end to naturopathic pediatrics by Jim Brown (April 10, 2016) The 180, CBC Radio.
- Naturopathic Diaries: Confessions of a Former Naturopath by Jann Bellamy (March 5, 2015) Science-Based Medicine.
- Re: Notice of Cease and Desist Defamation by Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP (July 21, 2017) Naturopathic Diaries
- Is Colleen Huber a cancer quack? And more legal thuggery by Britt Hermes (2 September 2017) Naturopathic Diaries.
- Justice prevails! Cancer quack Colleen Huber loses her defamation suit against me by Britt Hermes (3 June 2019) Naturopathic Diaries.