There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
“”The fact that CNN is selling an election coffee table book says so very much.
“”I know CNN has taken some knocks lately but the fact is, I admire their commitment to cover all sides of the story, just in case one of them happens to be accurate.
CNN (Cable News Network) is the original of the United States' 24-hour cable news networks, and now sits along with MSNBC, Fox News, ABC et al. Launched in 1980 by Ted Turner, it is the home of much
opinion designed to look like news. CNN got its mojo in the first Gulf War and has struggled ever since to make the news as compelling. Interestingly, CNN has a better reputation in a crisis (9/11, Katrina) than the other two, but that doesn't translate into viewership in the day-in/day-out of presidential politics.
Since the late 2000s, much of the content on CNN consists of current events, misinformation, misinformation, more misinformation, opinion pundits (mostly Very Serious People), reruns, and other shit that not many people watch anyway (like seriously raising the possibility that Flight MH370 might have been swallowed up by a Black hole), as CNN's ratings have continuously dropped. CNN's leader Walter Isaacson tried to take CNN in a more conservative direction at one point. He even met with Republican congressional leaders at the time.
The network also pushes pseudoscience and quacks: For example, in late 2018, the channel invited Food Babe during the romaine lettuce outbreak. It also pushes unsourced "studies" that should be taken with a grain of salt. It also took part in GMO fearmongering in 2014 when they published the "Ten Ways to avoid GMOs". To their credit, they at least are not anti-vaccine.
Unlike Fox News Channel, with its right-wing imbalance, and MSNBC with its Democratic establishment imbalance, CNN appears as the "centrist" news source, albeit left of center whenever the Republican President makes it impossible for them to stay neutral. Pew Research found CNN to be the least biased of the three major cable news networks (with Fox and MSNBC having a much larger right and left wing slant, respectively). With some "left-leaning" commentators like Fareed Zakaria it has been accused of being slightly left-leaning. However, CNN's efforts to appear "balanced" has resulted in many cases where stories are reported with more of a right-leaning bias.[note 1]
Steubenville High School rape
CNN's Candy Crowley, Poppy Harlow and Paul Callan were criticized for being sympathetic towards the convicted rapists in the Steubenville High School rape case and for placing very little focus on the girl victim on March 17, 2013. An online petition garnered thousands of signatures protesting the coverage and demanding an apology. CNN also revealed the name of the 16-year-old victim. This practice is against the Associated Press guidelines for coverage.
- Shut up. Get out.
- To the couch!
- I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, that when a girl walks in with an itty-bitty waist and a round thing in your face you get sprung!
- That sound you hear is Sarah McLachlan and a punching bag.
- Where is the signal? DAMMIT!
- Please, CNN. Just stop. Please. We can't laugh at you anymore. It's just sad.
- O'Keefe video shows CNN's Van Jones calling Russia story a ‘nothingburger’
- Donald Trump on twitter, 5:30 am, 27 June 2017
- Donald Trump on Twitter, 5:45 pm, 27 June 2017
- Magary, "CNN's Jeff Zucker Thinks This is All a Game", GQ 4.5.17.
- Gawker.com: archive.is, web.archive.org
- CNN Fails to Stop Fall in Ratings, The New York Times, 29 March 2010
- CNN criticised for seemingly threatening to dox Reddit user behind Trump's wrestling video, Business Insider Australia
- How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF, CNN Politics
- CNN Lets 'Food Babe' Spout Pseudoscience on Lettuce Outbreak The Daily Beast
- CNN’s irresponsible article on ’10 ways to avoid GMOs’–No, GMOs are not unsafe Genetic Literacy Project
- "CNN’s Steubenville Coverage Focuses On Effect Rape Trial Will Have On Rapists, Not Victim". Huffington Post. 2017.
- "CNN’s Steubenville Rape Coverage Draws Petition Demanding Apology". Huffington Post. 2017.
- "CNN, Fox News, MSNBC Air Name Of Steubenville Rape Victim". Huffington Post. 2017.