|You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
ChurchMilitant.tv (formerly RealCatholicTV.com) is a webshite that ostensibly promotes a form of Traditionalist Catholicism. The main goal of the site is to wipe out heterodoxy and to solidify the power of their version of orthodox Roman Catholic faith. The webshite promotes pro-life, homophobic, anti-feminist, Islamophobic, climate change denialist, orthodox Catholic viewpoints.
The Archdiocese of Detroit has denied since 2008 that any Real Catholic TV entity has ecclesiastical consent required under Canon 216 to use the word "Catholic" in any endeavors. This is probably the reason the site changed its name in 2012; however, their companion YouTube site still uses the old name, in defiance of the Catholic church.
Obscure driving force
The site is the brainchild of "Emmy-Award winning journalist"[note 1] Michael Voris S.T.B.,[note 2] who has claimed he was incensed by what he considered the lies told about Catholicism in the book and movie, The Da Vinci Code. Voris co-owns the site with main spokesperson Marc Brammer.
However, it appears that Voris is more puppet than entrepreneur, and Opus Dei member Marc Brammer is the money and driving force. Together, Voris and Brammer created a web of for-profit and non-profit entities under which the organization operates. Religion, Politics and Culture carried an interview with Brammer presenting his version of ties to Voris.
- Catholic Government
Voris says that the problem with democracy is that everyone gets a vote. The only way to prevent a democracy from committing suicide is to limit the vote to Catholics, and the only way to run a country is by benevolent dictatorship. A catholic monarch who protects his people from themselves and bestows on them what they need, not necessarily what they want. This video was removed from the official channel after unwanted attention from heathens and heretics, but is still available on the platform.
- Some Clarity
This video is a combination non-apology mea culpa and "explanation" that democracies always become evil when heathens and heretics are allowed to sway government policies. Voris provides examples of "virtuous" Catholic monarchs who he says were wonderful rulers.
- Freedom of Speech
- Hate is Good!
Hate is a family value! Without hatred of heresy, there could be no faith. Surely, you remember what Paul wrote in I Corinthians 13:2: "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not hate, I am nothing."
The CIA, sorry, we mean, the FBI
One of their programs is the Faith Based Investigation (FBI, formerly the CIA - the Catholic Investigative Agency), which is "devoted to in-depth examination of scandals, betrayals and evil in the Church." Are they referring to...
No! Instead, the FBI's purpose is to "bring to light the dark deeds of evil Catholics-in-name-only, who are hijacking the Church for their own ends, not the ends of Christ!"
Trump administration ties
In 2020, the head of the Federal Elections Commission appeared on Church Militant and attacked Catholic bishops for not endorsing Republican candidates, while also describing the 2020 election as “a spiritual war” and saying the U. S. Constitution presupposes Christianity.
- Where, when, why or for what he won an Emmy is not so easy to find.
- Smug Toupee-Wearing Bonehead. Oh, sorry. Sacrae Theologiae Baccalaureus, or Bachelor of Sacred Theology. (Why not journalism?)
- Robert Allen, How a right-wing Ferndale fringe group is building a multimedia empire. Detroit Free Press, 18 February 2017.
- Need for Statement on Real Catholic TV. Archived press release from the Archdiocese of Detroit, 3 January 2012.
- Code of Canon Law 216.
- Emmy Award-Winning Broadcaster Leads Catholic Media Company. Media advisory from Catholic PRWire, 31 March 2008.
- Our Guest: Marc Brammer, Senior Director at Moody’s Analytics – New York, NY, Discussed his “Institute for New Media”. Archived from rpconradio.com, 20 October 2011.
- RealCatholicTV on YouTube. Just over 18,000 subscribers in 2022.
- Catholic Government, BkupAcct on YouTube, 18 August 2010.
- Some Clarity. ChurchMilitant Archives, YouTube, 18 August 2010.
- Freedom of Speech. ChurchMilitant Archives, YouTube, 18 August 2010.
- Hate is Good! ChurchMilitant Archives, YouTube, 21 July 2010.
- Steve Benen, Trump-backed FEC chair: 2020 election amounts to a 'spiritual war'. MSNBC, 18 September 2020.