There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
| It's gettin' hot in here|
Judith Curry is a climatologist at Georgia Tech infamous for flirting with the denier community on the basis that some of them have "good ideas" and can't get their contrarian papers published. For instance, she has posted on Anthony Watts' blog, as well as Steve McIntyre's Climate Audit. (She invited McIntyre to talk at Georgia Tech. This makes her a massive enabler.) She has further embarrassed herself (and her university) by using refuted denier talking points and defending the Wegman Report, eventually admitting she hadn't even read it in the first place. This and other shenanigans led Tamino of Open Mind to say, "Judith, your credibility is now below zero." Curry has agreed with Trump's description of climate change as a "hoax", writing in 2016 that the UN's definition of manmade climate change "qualifies as a hoax". In short, she's the Richard Lindzen of the South. Or maybe the Roy Spencer of Georgia, take your pick.
Following a prolonged, public feud with Michael Mann, Curry got fed up to the point of teaming up with the Koch brothers, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the National Review against the aforementioned in his famed defamation suit. All in order to defeat the ebil warmist gub'mint shill.
Some stuff she's been wrong about
- The article The implications for climate sensitivity of AR5 forcing and heat uptake estimates was widely panned by other climatologists
- Maybe the Heartland Institute isn't so bad after all!
- The BEST team tried to "hide the decline," because there has been "no warming since 1998." (This was widely quoted in a Daily Mail article.)
- "We should use the satellite data. It's the best we have!" (Who else loves saying that? Oh yeah. Count Chocula.)
- (From the same Daily Mail article) "The models are broken." She later backed down about this on her blog, saying she was misquoted and "had no idea where it came from."
- Murry Salby is right about CO2 and every other scientist is wrong.
- A Scientific American article about her
- Her Skeptical Science Page (more on her Daily Mail brouhaha and "preference for mild Curry")
- Is Judith Curry Peddling Disinformation?, Collide-a-Scape at Discover Magazine
- Go Judy, Stoat (Can't think of any more amusing Curry jokes?)
- Greenfyre sums up all her antics in one place.
- It's Gettin' Hot in Here: The Big Battle Over Climate Science, Discover Magazine (Curry vs. Mann)
- Uncertain science: Judith Curry's take on Climate Change, NPR
- "An Open Letter from Dr. Judith Curry on Climate Science", LOLWUWT
- Judith Curry Plants Her Flag, ScienceBlogs
- "Bag of Hammers II", Open Mind
- "Why target Heartland?" (Waaah.)
- Climate cynicism at the Santa Fe conference, RealClimate (The article in question)
- "Pause Discussion Thread"
- Comment 37