| Terminate processing activity|
|In the back alley|
Lila Rose (born 1988) is an American pro-life activist. Homeschooled as a child, Rose was a 17-year-old history major at UCLA when she and a friend began conducting so-called "sting" operations at Planned Parenthood clinics in 2006, posing as abortion-seeking 13-year-olds impregnated by adult men in order to try to entrap clinic counselors into saying things that make it look like they are okay with letting statutory rape go unreported. Rose secretly tapes these counseling sessions, cherry picks the ones where something out of line is said, then edits the juiciest parts thereof into "exposé" videos that she posts on YouTube.
In 2006, Rose collaborated with conservative provocateur James O'Keefe, recording calls O'Keefe made to Planned Parenthood clinics posing as a racist interested in making a donation "specifically for the abortions of African-American babies" and releasing the ones in which staff appeared not to express opposition (or simply to humor a seemingly disturbed person who could potentially know how to make pipe bombs). Their intent was to give credence to the notion that Planned Parenthood was founded by Margaret Sanger, an advocate of eugenics (true), with the intent of wiping out the black race (false).
During her time at UCLA, the disingenuous ingénue also founded a pro-life student magazine called The Advocate, apparently unaware there's been a magazine of that name around for forty years now, which isn't exactly subscription material for the social conservative set.
At the Values Voters Summit in 2009, Rose delivered a speech in which she revealed she doesn't understand that desensitization makes people care less, not more, and that she hears Hallelujah when everyone else hears groaning and squeaking bedsprings:
“”If I could insist — this might sound a little strange — but if I could insist, as long as they are legal in our nation, abortions would be done in the public square, until we were so sick and tired of see them that we would do away with the injustice altogether. Maybe then we would value the unborn child as we value the one-year-old child just learning to walk. And maybe then we might hear angels singing when we ponder the glory of conception, that first beginning of human life.
- Abcarian, Robin. "Anti-abortion movement gets a new-media twist." Los Angeles Times: April 26, 2009.
- Who Is Lila Rose? (Media Matters for America)
- Stan, Adele M. New Tactics and Coalitions Take Aim at Planned Parenthood. Public Eye: Spring 2009.
- Berkowitz, Bill. "Lila Rose: The New Darling of Anti-Choice Right-Wingers." Alternet: June 24, 2009.
- Lila Rose 2009 Values Voter Speech: Part 2 of 2 (from the Live Action channel, if you have a YouTube account please click dislike)
- Lila Rose: Abortions Should Be Done In Public (excerpt clip by Right Wing Watch, a project of People for the American Way)
- Bell, Justin. How Lila Rose Became Pro-Life ... And Catholic. National Catholic Register: February 3, 2012.