There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
One Million Moms
| Christ died so we may|
write articles about
|A multi-chef broth|
|Devil's in the details|
|The pearly gates|Seventeen Angry Dipsticks One Dozen Shrews One Million Moms is a small advocacy group for social conservatism, created by—and a front group for—the American Family Association. Its mission is to oppose the "immorality, violence, vulgarity and profanity" of modern media, generally by attempting to stir public outcry. Specifically, they have opposed television shows such as Glee, The Playboy Club, Skins, and GCB (originally Good Christian Bitches) - citing these shows' normalization of homosexuality or a perceived anti-Christian bias) - and have advocated on behalf of numerous other causes, such as opposing the addition of openly gay characters to Marvel and DC comic books.
One Million Moms are perhaps most notable for their failed attempt to start a mass boycott of retail chain J.C. Penney after that company chose Ellen DeGeneres, who is openly gay, as a spokesperson. J.C. Penney's stock price and sales volumes plummeted under a recent CEO, highlighting the fact that the failed boycott had little to do with the company's strength, and more to do with the hilarious inefficacy of One Million Moms.
Even if they were one million strong, they would still be no more than 1 to 2% of all mothers in the United States.
- Pinkham, C.A., "Olive Garden better watch out, because this dude has NOTIFIED MANY PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK", Wonkette (1/29/16, 4:45pm).
- One Million Moms website
- "About", onemillionmoms.com
- "Successes", onemillionmoms.com
- "Anti-Gay Group's J.C. Penney boycott fizzles", L.A. Times
- "One Million Moms 'Moving on' From JC Penney-Ellen DeGeneres Protest"
- "Kmart's 'Jingle Bells' ad goes viral, sparks One Million Moms protest", L.A. Times
- "New Campbell's Ad Angers A 'Million' Moms", Youtube
- 'Facts for Features: Mother's Day: May 13, 2012', census.gov