There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
I'll come back to this later to think of better sub-headings and create a summary and conclusion etc. Add and modify as you see fit. --Graham 12:25, 6 November 2007 (EST)
If someone would like to make the neccessary links to colonialism by adding to article's content and then linking the two, so much the quicker. If not, I'll get round to it when the mood takes me. --Graham 16:03, 6 November 2007 (EST)
THIS is imperialism
pwn claim this talk page in the name of Queen Victoria and the British Empire! Totnesmartin 14:08, 6 November 2007 (EST)
Channel some of that humour into the article, arbiter. --Graham 16:03, 6 November 2007 (EST)
No, it's not, exactly
There have been zillions and zillions of empires throughout history. This article only focuses on the history and theory behind the empire of the Brits. Why? Shouldn't an article about imperialism be about...well...imperialism? All imperialism? If not, can I at least change the name to "British Imperialism"? A Writer of Vaudevilles 22:53, 7 November 2008 (EST)
- I'm going to take that as a yes. I could rewrite the article to address imperialism more general, but I'm tired and lazy and feeling like taking the easy way out right now. Maybe I'll do it later. For now, I'm changing the name. A Writer of Vaudevilles 06:44, 15 November 2008 (EST)
- Never mind. Since I don't really know my way around a wiki, I'm just going to keep Imperialism right where it is for the moment in order to avoid any problems I'd be too inexperienced to spot. Sorry about the hassle.
- Not that anybody cares, anyway--doesn't look like anybody sees this page very much. A Writer of Vaudevilles 06:59, 15 November 2008 (EST)
Ditto Imperial Earth, and The Empire Strikes Back.
More seriously, there are different forms of imperial - power, cultural, religion, language etc.
To what extent is the term merely used perjoratively/as a weasel word?
I've added a lame introduction. The article is way too UK-centric, and is mostly quotes. I'd like someone with a better understanding of history than I to help, but if no one intervenes I'll write something awful as the day commences. Tytalk 20:29, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
Britain most racist and genocidal
Moved to Talk: British Empire#The British Empire, racism and associated issues. ScepticWombat (talk) 10:46, 29 June 2015 (UTC)
America = Imperialist
It's as if the writers have never heard of "hegemony" or "soft power" -- distinct from imperialism, even if some of their effects are the same. Fuzzy. Cat. Potato! (talk/stalk) 15:44, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- Maybe the writers took a course in agitprop in 1983 Soviet Russia? Laurogeita Hamabost (talk) 15:55, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- Bronze seems reasonable to me if the references could be cleaned up first. It needs some substantial work to get a higher rating I think. Bongolian (talk) 18:27, 25 August 2016 (UTC)
- How can Jews colonize a place that has been Jewish before there even were Muslims or Christians? Evil Zionist (talk) 14:22, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
Peanut gallery comment
How DARE those evil colonizers improve third world shitholes with their superior government, culture, science, medicine, education, and technology! Those monsters!!! — Unsigned, by: 184.108.40.206 / talk