19 Kids and Counting
| You gotta spin it to win it|
|Stop the presses!|
|We want pictures|
19 Kids and Counting was a crappy reality television show on the TLC network. The show featured the
fundie evangelical family of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, all their J-named kids, and their annoyingly very Christian views. The "values" presented on the show are associated with the Quiverfull movement, but the family states that they are not part of the movement.
The show, started in 2008 as 17 Kids and Counting, spawned numerous specials about the mom's latest deliveries and their oldest children's weddings. Some family members, notably Michelle Duggar, have come under fire for their anti-abortion and homophobic views.
19 Kids and Counting was suspended in May 2015 as allegations of a cover-up of the eldest son Josh Duggar's child sexual abuse of the family's younger daughters surfaced. The sibcest allegations also ended Josh Duggar's wingnut welfare job in the political arm of the Family Research Council. Former governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR) stood by the family at first, then quietly stepped back from them. As if this example of pious preaching and less than pious conduct wasn't enough, Josh Duggar's name also came up on the client list of the adultery website Ashley Madison after it was hacked. On July 16, 2015, TLC announced that the show has been officially canceled and would not resume production. Good riddance.
A new show has been aired with two Duggar sisters, their husbands and families.
- Duggar Family Blog FAQ. The Duggars write in their second book, A Love That Multiplies: "Even though Wikipedia and some Internet blogs report that we are part of a QuiverFull movement, we are not. We are simply Bible-believing Christians who desire to follow God's Word and apply it to our lives" (page 92).
- Abby Ohlheiser. Listen to Michelle Duggar’s anti-anti-discrimination robocall. The Washington Post. 29 August 2014. Retrieved on 21 September 2015.
- Brian Tashman. Flashback: Duggars Call LGBT People A Threat To Child Safety; Duggar Resigns From FRC. rightwingwatch.org. 21 May 2015. Retrieved on 21 September 2015.
- Lesley Messer and Ben Gittleson. Josh Duggar: Mike Huckabee Defends the '19 Kids and Counting' Star. ABC News. 22 May 2015. Retrieved on 23 September 2015.
- Andrea Denhoad. Josh Duggar's Ashley Madison Problem. The New Yorker. 21 August 2015. Retrieved on 8 October 2015. "Those claiming to profess a philosophy built on human brokenness might take more of a pause before making a show of declaring people mended."
- Josh Duggar after Ashley Madison hack: 'I have been the biggest hypocrite ever' by Dana Ford (Updated 10:46 AM ET, Fri August 21, 2015) CNN.
- An Official Statement From TLC. www.tlc.com. Retrieved on 16 September 2015.
- Duggar Family Returns With New Show On TLC After ‘19 Kids And Counting’