| We're so glad you came|
|Reach around the subject|
Gay Shame is a self-described direct action movement that seeks "nothing less than a new queer activism that foregrounds race, class, gender and sexuality, to counter the self-serving 'values' of gay consumerism and the increasingly hypocritical left."
In other words, these folks see mainstream gay rights activism as being too bourgeois and liberal in nature; instead of working for a greater inclusion of queer people in contemporary society, Gay Shame wants to fundamentally change that society.
As of 13 December 2016, their website appears to be down.
- Supports anti-psychiatry.
- Opposes marriage in any form, including same sex marriage.The Gay Shame movement believe that marriage supports a traditional heterosexual world image and that assimilation into this institution perpetuates erasure of homosexual culture.
- Opposes what they call the "non-profit industrial complex" of LGBT groups, for having an "authoritarian and ageist structure that gives power to older, largely male LGBT people" while exploiting and claiming to speak for youth, careerism and professionalism, and promoting "gentrification" such as gay business districts.
- Should not support gay pride when it is used to mask less progressive policies.
- Believes gay pride is based on stereotypes and caricatures. This often implies highly sexualised behaviour with many within the gay community being categorized into 'tribes' whereby their identity is reduced to sexual appeal. This can lead to unhealthy body image amongst LGBT youth.
- "AgainstPsychiatry!", Gay Shame, 2007 August.
- "Gay Shame Opposes Marriage in Any Form", Gay Shame.
- "Gay Shame Says No to YES", Gay Shame.
- R Conrad, "Creating Change or Creating Chains? A Fierce Look at the Non-Profit Industrial Complex", Gay Shame, 2010 July 23.
- Inez, et al. "Critique of Authoritarianism in the Anti-Gentro Gay BID Campaign", Gay Shame, 2005 January 22.