There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2021.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
Scott Presler aka "#ThePersistence" (1988–) is a professional concern troll and Republican political operative. Presler is the founder of #GaysForTrump and organizer of ACT! For America, which the Anti-Defamation League says is the largest American organization of anti-muslim bigots in America. Presler is best known for organizing and publicizing
media stunts volunteer work, such as picking up trash in West Baltimore and throwing away homeless people's property in Los Angeles in order to prove conservatives are more compassionate than the so-called tolerant left. Presler organizes events that greenwash racist canards, using altruism as the excuse, in order to appeal to the religious right.
In 2016, Presler was employed by the Virginia Republican Party as a token gay
apologist organizer, supporting the party platform to overturn gay marriage, make it legal to discriminate against LGBT people, end gay adoption, and allow child torture gay conversion therapy. Since that election, Presler has launched a very successful social media brand strategy, targeting social conservatives who want to moralize and be racist at the same time. Much like Diamond and Silk, he uses his position as a minority to reinforce the idea that the people fighting bigotry are the real bigots. By tweeting videos of his political theater at hundreds of establishment Republicans, including Trump, he gained hundreds of thousands of followers, and where he repeats the talking point of the day. This blind loyalty has led to him being a speaker at CPAC and an up-and-coming star of the Republican Party.
In 2017, Presler organized a “March Against Sharia” with ACT for America, alongside white supremacist Billy Roper who stated:
We want to send a message to Muslims that they are not welcome in our communities. We want to send a message to Muslims that they're not welcome in our state. And ultimately we want to send a message to Muslims that they're not welcome in our nation and, of course, endgame, on our planet.”
Presler attempted to parlay the negative press into a College Campus Free Speech tour, co-sponsored by Turning Point USA, where he would give dramatized, emotional speeches about the threat of radical Islam to places like rural Ohio. This was intended to get the organization free advertising by triggering students and feeding into the right-wing free speech moral panic. However by 2017, it failed to gain traction, and he went back to work as a field director for the Virginia Republican Party, touring the country holding “activism” seminars.
The “activism” included condescending #CleanUp events in black neighborhoods in Baltimore, San Francisco, Los Angeles, as well as at the US-Mexico border. These amount to thinly veiled political rallies and photo opportunities for local media and social media coverage. Presler routinely uses these events to give over-the-top, demagogic speeches about the death of the country to attendees.
In 2018, Presler started the “Blacks Before Illegals” campaign, copying the Black Lives Matter logo, in a failed attempt to astroturf racial division. This campaign would go on to get him suspended from Twitter for saying totally even-tempered, non-sweeping general statements like “Black lives murdered by criminal illegal aliens don’t matter” and “criminal illegal aliens are raping our 6-year-old girls”.
Presler isn’t afraid to nod at fringe right-wing conspiracy theories and share them with his hundreds of thousands of followers. These range from a Seth Rich truther to pushing the idea that the COVID-19
plandemic scamdemic pandemic is fake and hospitals are actually empty.
- Amid Anti-Trump Protests, One LGBTQ Group Celebrated by William Sherman (Jan. 24, 2017, 8:42 AM PST / Updated Jan. 24, 2017, 8:42 AM PST) NBC News.
- ACT for America
- We assume it was pure motives that led a Trump supporter to launch a cleanup in Cummings’ district, right?
- Homelessness Coverage that Punches Down: Could We Just Not?
- He's gay, but this Virginia Beach man is outspoken in his support for Donald Trump and the GOP
- Log Cabin Republicans: GOP Platform the 'Most Anti-LGBT' in Party's History
- The Seven Types of People Who Tweet at Trump
- CPAC 2020 | Scott Presler
- NPR: 'March Against Sharia' Planned Across The U.S.
- Organizers: Anti-Muslim rally planned for Portland moved to Seattle
- Anti-Sharia Group With Close Ties To Donald Trump Has A Nazi Problem
- ACT for America sets its sights on college campuses with upcoming speaking tour
- Virginian linked to hate group will hold “activism” seminar in New Milford
- Right-Wing Extremist Scott Presler Organizes Trash Clean Up in West Baltimore
- Our country is teetering on the edge. We either rise this November or we fall together. | Scott Presler, Facebook 8-30-2020
- Scott Presler also tried this agitation: “Blacks before illegals” for a few months, purchasing signs that imitated BLM, failed at a protest on MLK Day, and stood outside a Taco Bell. by @getthegoods (06:35 - 25 Jan. 2020) Twitter (archived from August 30, 2020).
- Conservative Gay Activist Scott Presler Suspended From Twitter For Posting Facts About Illegal Aliens Murdering Blacks by Cristina Laila (January 27, 2019 at 1:37pm) The Gateway Pundit (archived from June 17, 2020).
- This is Seth Rich. He was mysteriously murdered. He's the alleged DNC whistleblower. Retweet. He needs Justice. by @ScottPresler (08:43 - 8. Apr. 2017) Twitter (archived from August 6, 2020).
- I visited my hospital in Fairfax County, one of the largest population hubs in America. I didn’t see a lot of cars, a lot of people, or hardly any activity. Wanted to see with my own eyes. by @scottpresler ((3:31 - 29 May 2020)) Twitter (archived from April 23, 2020).