| It doesn't stop|
at the water's edge
“”Think of the worst politician you can. When we have a woman as bad as him elected, then we have equality.
Tokenism is the practice of using a member of a minority group in order to "prove" how "progressive and forward-thinking" your organization is.
For instance, Alan Keyes was the Republican Party's "token black" and would still be if Alan Keyes weren't too fucking crazy even for Republicans (they now have Michael Steele, Allen West, Herman Cain and Ben Carson. And
Dinesh D'Souza Michelle Malkin if you need non-black minorities). Some companies will hire one representative of a given group — for instance, one black person, one gay person, or one woman — to give the entire company the appearance of being inclusive.
Similarly, traditionally exclusionary organizations such as private schools will go out of their way to put photos of minorities in their literature, creating a parallel Bizarro World of multiculturalism that does not exist in said organization's objective reality. It's why Bob Jones University has photos of black guys and Asians on the front page of its web site.
In response to criticism of Gamergate being predominantly male and white, and therefore unknowing of minority issues, members of the group created the #NotYourShield hashtag. Members of Gamergate posted pictures of themselves usually with a note indicating a timestamp and purpose. Critics of the movement have claimed that sockpuppet accounts were created, and while this is true, the majority of posts were created by accounts with a long history.
While not strictly tokenism (as it was a direct response to criticism), this shares some traits with the concept.
- Roy Cohn — Ruined the careers of Democrats, gays, Jews… and he himself was all of those things. "Not all Jews are Communists," he said, "but most Communists are Jews."
- S. E. Cupp — Token atheist. Uses the same basic techniques (academia and the media hates Christians!) to deliver the conservative votes.
- Thomas Sowell — You mean the segregation-supporting Sowell? (Of course they would pick a guy named Tom.)
- Christina Hoff Sommers — Insufferably smug, "factual feminist" and Gamergate shill.
- Milo Yiannopoulos — Alt-right figurehead. Vaguely advocating fucking children. Well, he was molested as a kid, so he's pretty hard to top in the "Token" category.
- Or one black lesbian to include all three groups with one person.
- There are many, many more photos of white people, however.
- Similarly, Pat Buchanan was one of MSNBC's "Token Racists."