| A guide to|
|Hail to the Chief?|
|Persons of interest|
“”This deliberate fraud — because that’s what it has to be — is an example of the reasons knowledgeable people don’t trust the Tax Foundation.
The Tax Foundation is a
non-partisan wingnut (un)think tank which publishes slanted economic papers about politically charged issues to push a libertarian perspective. The Foundation was founded by and for corporate interests by its own admission, and advocates global warming denialism, tax protester theories about the legality of taxation, and other neoconservative talking points. Many of their reports have been thoroughly debunked by economists, and even by popular outlets like Forbes.
The Tax Foundation is heavily bankrolled by the Koch Brothers, who donated $545,000 through the Claude R. Lambe Foundation, a Koch owned "charity" which also funded similar (un)think tanks such as the Heritage Foundation, Cato Institute, and Americans for Prosperity before it was dismantled in 2013. Not to be left out, the Charles G. Koch Foundation managed to cough up another $182,100 to support the Foundation's economic research. The Charles Koch Institute shamelessly lists the Tax Foundation as a "partner organization", along with other (un)think tanks.
Other upstanding citizens who contribute to the Tax Foundation include ExxonMobile, PepsiCo, General Electric, Hewlett-Packard, and General Motors. The Tax Foundation receives 40% of its funding from corporate sponsors, and an additional 42% from "philanthropic foundations" like the Koch groups above, providing obedient cranks with job security. 
From its website:
“”We believe that we have an obligation to respect your philanthropic intent as a donor and that we are strictly accountable to you. To that end, we pledge always to respect your philanthropic intent. To ensure our supporters can remain confident in our commitment to promoting sound tax policy as an independent organization: our Board of Directors has amended our By-laws to ensure the Tax Foundation remains true to its purpose.
So much for non-partisan.
- Stocks, Flows, and Fuzzy Math
- Tax Foundation Annual Dinner 2013
- Greenpeace - Tax Foundation
- Tax Foundation Annual Report, 2014
- Tax Foundation Figures Do Not Represent Typical Households’ Tax Burdens
- Intentionally misleading data from Scott Hodge of the Tax Foundation
- Tax Foundation and Competitive Environments: more bunk!
- Is Tax Foundation Unfair To Bernie Sanders?
- Contributions of the Claude R. Lambe Foundation
- Who is this Claude R. Lambe?
- Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation
- One of the Koch Family-Controlled Foundations Has Quietly Folded
- Contributions of the Charles G. Koch Foundation
- Charles Koch Institute - Partner Organizations
- ExxonSecrets Factsheet: The Tax Foundation
- Senate Lobbying Contribution Report - PepsiCo
- Senate Lobbying Contribution Report - General Electric
- Senate Lobbying Contribution Report - Hewlitt-Packard
- Senate Lobbying Contribution Report - General Motors
- Tax Foundation Annual Reports and Funding
- Tax Foundation FAQ’s About Donations