There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff – we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone who saw this today donated $5, we would meet our goal for 2019.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
I don't like the Pope either, but I think advocating for his assassination is immoral, especially advocating his assassination through the use of nuclear weapons. Putting to one side the wrongness of killing any human being, even the Pope, consider the many innocents which will be killed or severely maimed as collateral damage in any attempt at nuclear papal assassination. You should also consider the fact that your advocacy for the assassination of the Pope may be illegal in many jurisdictions and could result in you becoming subject to serious criminal penalties. As such, I recommend to you that you change your user name. You may do so by making a request on this page. Best Regards, Zachary Martin, Protoprophet of the Religion of (((Zack Martin)))™ 10:05, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- I understand your objection. First, please note that I do not really advocate assassinating anyone, and certainly not by nuclear means; even if I thought the Pope's death would benefit the world (I don't, I agree with Richard Dawkins that Ratzinger is the perfect Pope), I could certainly not accept the collateral damage. With respect to this thought, please consider my name in a context of microwaving rather than atomic bombing.
- That aside, are you genuinely worried that sensible people will view my user name as a call to violence? It's intended as a satirical call to arms in an intellectual sense, and I'm constantly congratulated for the "cool" name choice over in the (admittedly more lowbrow) Reddit. The only people to complain about it are a handful of butthurt and very simple-minded Christian trolls who try to convince us that we're all going to hell and attack my name simply for lack of any other argument.
- I'm certainly considering your concern and am considering taking your advice to change my user name here - there's no strong reason I feel I need to tie my persona in Reddit to my persona in RationalWiki, especially if that may be detrimental to RW's reputation. But I'd like to wait a moment or three to hear if there are other responses, and what they say. NukeThePope (talk) 10:17, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- I will tell you straight away that I am not a very popular person around these parts, and I guess multiple people will suggest to you that I am overreacting. If you want to keep this name, I doubt anyone will stop you. All I can do, is state my case, and you can either accept or reject it, as you decide. (((Zack Martin)))™ 10:28, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for the welcome, Ty!