There is no RationalWiki without you. We are a small non-profit with no staff — we are hundreds of volunteers who document pseudoscience and crankery around the world every day. We will never allow ads because we must remain independent. We cannot rely on big donors with corresponding big agendas. We are not the largest website around, but we believe we play an important role in defending truth and objectivity.
If everyone seeing this today donates $5, we will meet our goal for 2018.
| Fighting pseudoscience isn't free.|
We are 100% user-supported! Help and donate $5, $20 or whatever you can today with !
where God stores the deluge when He isn't using it a continent covered by a giant (though shrinking) plain of ice around the South Pole, opposite the Arctic. Almost all of Antarctica is south of the Antarctic Circle, and it covers 14.4 million square kilometers (5.4 million sq mi), making it the fifth-largest continent after Asia, Africa, North America, and South America. Ice covers about 98% of Antarctica to an average depth of 1.6 kilometers (1.0 mi) in thickness.
Antarctica is presently protected by a treaty which prohibits exploitation of the continent. Given that global warming is making potential exploitation easier and that the threat of peak oil is making potential exploitation more profitable it is highly probable that petroleum exploration will begin before the end of the next decade[When?]. There's a fair amount of coal there, too, but it would be costly to extract.
In this case it is somewhat ironic that the very countries and institutions which deny the existence of global warming are using its consequences to further the process which generated the warming in the first instance. (There is also a similar situation with the de-icing of the Arctic, Arctic shipping lines and the resources under the Arctic continental shelves.)
The Antarctic has a unique though limited ecosystem with no land dwelling mammals. In fact, the largest completely terrestrial animal on Antarctica is a half-inch long "wingless fly." Penguins, though cute, do not count; they spend much of their time in the water nearby.
Antarctica is a major source of rocks from Mars because they fall on an enormous ice-covered plain, and are conveyed by means of a very slow "conveyor belt" of moving glacial ice to be deposited at the edge where the flow is obstructed by hills and mountains. The rocks stand out on the flat, white surface.
A somehow puzzling, but persistent view among some Planet X/Nibiru believers is that it can only be seen from Antarctica and/or the South Pole, because "it's approaching Earth from below the ecliptic". (Even if this were true, it would be visible from every point south of the equator, not only from the South Pole.) As a result, many obsessively watch the live webcam feeds from various Antarctic research stations, trying hard to find anomalies such as inconsistent sunrise times or strange objects in the sky, often with hilarious results. (See the Neumayer Station article for some examples.) Another facet of the belief is the dark significance some give to the South Pole Telescope, despite the fact that it is a radio telescope and doesn't produce pictures in the visible light spectrum. And no, it's not owned by the Vatican.
Lake Vostok is the site of a drilling project by the Russians, an attempt to break through the thick layer of ice on the lake surface to see if there is life within that has been isolated from the rest of the world for millions of years. There has been some low-level speculation that alien life could have been found, and that it was being kept secret. The lake has turned out to be lifeless so far.
A rather odder claim is that a US spy satellite found a spaceship under the ice in 2001, and the Americans have been hushing it up ever since. Attendant stories of a vanishing film crew, and an erupting "time vortex" simply add to the confusion - while also subtracting from the original story's credibility.
There are also some nutty theories about pyramids.
Some people believe that Antarctica is a myth, despite all of the people who have crossed it. They instead claim there is a giant wall of ice/rock that keeps the water in. You can see evidence of this in the UN flag, which shows the north pole in the middle but no south pole. "The most commonly asked questions, and the greatest mysteries yet to be solved are: how far does the Antarctic ice extend outwards? Is there a limit? What lies beyond, or is it just snow and ice forever?" Sadly "U.N. treaties and constant military surveillance" keep us away from Antarctica so we will never find out.
Other people have written about a great range of mountains in the middle of the continent, which is supposedly the location of a great city built by space aliens a billion years ago. (This seems more believable than the claim immediately above.)
Similar to this are claims from Google Earth aficionados of UFOs and huge alien facilities being hidden in the Antarctic, some guarded by military tanks. Of course they could just be glitches in the satellite photos.
- Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?: "Satellites measure Antarctica is gaining sea ice but losing land ice at an accelerating rate which has implications for sea level rise."
- Cold Cases: Crime and Punishment in Antarctica by Bryant Rousseau SEPT. 28, 2016) New York Times.
- Originally its sections banning mineral exploitation were due to expire in 1991, but were given a fifty-year extension by the Madrid Protocol.
- Claiming Antarctica: Oil, Water And Environmental Risks Date: October 18, 2007 Source: Queensland University of Technology
- Faure and Mensing, The Transantarctic Mountains, pp.358-9
- Antarctica Is A Hot Spot For UA Scientists Hunting Meteorites Lori Stiles Tucson AZ (SPX) Nov 10, 2005
- Mars Meteorite
- Antarctica’s Lake Vostok reveals no signs of life initially, Russians report
- The Lake Vostok ‘Alien Craft’ Coverup
- Comment 1, The South Pole Does Not Exist! by Eric Dubay, A Plane Truth, "thinking outside the box", March 29, 2016
- The South Pole Does Not Exist!, Atlantean Conspiracy, accessed 10 Dec 2016
- See the Wikipedia article on At the Mountains of Madness.
- Antarctic UFO mystery deepens after researchers 'find tanks guarding alien crash site', Daily Express, 13 Nov 2015
- What on Earth is this? Mysterious 14 mile structure 'buried' in Antarctica found on Google, Daily Express, 17 Aug 2016
- The Hollow Earth